• Advertisement

First guided hunt - Any tips?

Talk about Elk

First guided hunt - Any tips?

Postby LanceS4803 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:24 pm

Looks like I am going to take my first guided hunt - MZ elk in UT.
I've hunted out there a lot (mule deer and cow elk), when I lived there and going back to hunt with my buddy who still lives there. But, he has a totally different hunting style than me and I really want to get it done for an elk. He'll be on his MZ mule deer hunt during this timeframe anyway.

Any tips on vetting a guide, experiences good and bad?
A prospective guide with access to exclusive private land sent me three names of former clients to talk to.
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
NRA Life member
VFW Life member
Collector of US and Russian Cold War weapons
LanceS4803
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: First guided hunt - Any tips?

Postby SALTMAN » Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 am

References , references etc . Ask for some no kill clients . Usually they will give you successful cause All of them will be happy and give great reviews . You are lucky to get to hunt UT .
SALTMAN
8 Point

Postby cmn » Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

I have been a guide for over 30 years. Talk to your references and have a list of questions about style of hunting, what to expect, ****Guides personality**** and what he can expect of you. Conversation, conversation...Be realistic in your expectations. There will be only 1 biggest bull killed next season....all the rest will be smaller. Decide if you have a standard and stick to it. DO NOT PASS ON THE FIRST DAY WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO SHOOT ON THE LAST DAY. Prepare as best you can as what you can control. Meaning mental... I have seen people loose it and forget everything at the worst time. Trust your guide...trust yourself and go with the flow. Have a great hunt!!
cmn
4 Point

Postby LanceS4803 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm

I've talked to two references so far. One woman is SUPER experienced, hunting all over the US and Africa. She, and her husband, have hunted with this outfit several times before. The other was an elderly man from the East Coast who has also used guides frequently. Both really liked the place and would go back. One more reference to go.
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
NRA Life member
VFW Life member
Collector of US and Russian Cold War weapons
LanceS4803
10 Point

Return to Hunting - other than deer