• Advertisement

Antelope Trip research

Talk about Elk

Antelope Trip research

Postby Chinquipin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 pm

I have never hunted hunted antelope, or anything else out west. I would like to plan a trip in the next couple years for myself and a couple friends. At this point I have done very little research. Thought I would ask some of the experts here where i need to start my research. Thanks for any input.
Chinquipin
Spike

Advertisement

Re: Antelope Trip research

Postby Chinquipin » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:48 pm

We would probably use an outfitter so if there is anyone that you have used I would like to hear your experience.
Chinquipin
Spike

Postby BlackEagle1 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:39 am

With no preference points you will be limited to the eastern side of the state, but that’s not really a bad thing. The fact that you’re going guided can get you into those mostly private units. I have killed several goats but never used a guide. check out the Wyoming outfitters and guides association website. Their magazine has a bunch of info and is accessible on their website. Looks like $2500 for 3 days is about the going rate.

I love to hunt antelope but the points race has become a crippling cycle for the majority of the big public ground.
BlackEagle1
4 Point

Postby JCDEERMAN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 am

We had a group of 5 that went on an antelope hunt with SNS Outfitters right outside of Casper, Wyoming. Had a great time - good food, good accommodations, and we all killed great bucks.
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Postby rtaylor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:12 am

Went 2 years ago on public with no points to probably the 2 worst units and punched both our buck and doe tags. There are goats everywhere. I would guess if you wanted to kill a giant, an outfitter or several points would improve your chances dramatically. If you do decide to go public just be prepared for lots of other hunters. We found that hardly any left their vehicles.
rtaylor
4 Point

Postby LanceS4803 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 pm

A bunch of antelope guides will be at NWTF this weekend.
TN Lifetime Sportsman license
NRA Life member
VFW Life member
Collector of US and Russian Cold War weapons
LanceS4803
10 Point

Postby Chinquipin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. This year we are just going to get preference points, and try to do plenty of research. I have heard of people that go and are successful in the areas that don't require points. I'm not concerned with killing a giant and don't want to shoot fish in a barrel, but do want us to have a good chance of harvesting some goats. I'm learning hard towards a outfitter because we know nothing about Wyoming, and this may be the only trip I ever have the opportunity to take out west.

LanceS4803 wrote:A bunch of antelope guides will be at NWTF this weekend.

I wanted to go this year, but ended up not going...
Chinquipin
Spike

Postby Buzzard Breath » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm

First off, an antelope is an excellent choice to do as a first western hunt. Especially if you're going with a group of friends. They're everywhere, literally. If you're driving down the Interstate an haven't seen a herd of them in the past 5 minutes, something is wrong.

Here's what I'd recommend.
- Make sure everyone in your group buys a preference point this year. Anyone who doesn't isn't committed enough to be trusted enough to commit to going.

- Spend hours learning Wyoming's Hunt Planner. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Plann ... telope-Map You don't need any fancy magazine subscriptions or to pay for any tag service. Learn this website as good as you can.

- Next year, find a unit that you can draw with 1 point in the "special" draw. The tag cost a couple hundred more than the regular draw tag, but can potentially bump you up several years of points. You won't need an outfitter if you go this direction.

- Pack tents, coolers, ice, bullets, and go have a good time.

- After you settle on a unit, look into getting doe tags. Antelope are delicious. You'll want to bring as much home as possible. Just remember to get them on ice quickly. They're also member of the Bovidae family and are not Cervidae, so the CWD regs do not apply to them. They can be brought back into the state without any special import requirements.

- Don't forget to ask more questions as they arise.
Buzzard Breath
10 Point

Postby tellico4x4 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:34 pm

Buzzard Breath wrote:First off, an antelope is an excellent choice to do as a first western hunt. Especially if you're going with a group of friends. They're everywhere, literally. If you're driving down the Interstate an haven't seen a herd of them in the past 5 minutes, something is wrong.

Here's what I'd recommend.
- Make sure everyone in your group buys a preference point this year. Anyone who doesn't isn't committed enough to be trusted enough to commit to going.

- Spend hours learning Wyoming's Hunt Planner. https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Plann ... telope-Map You don't need any fancy magazine subscriptions or to pay for any tag service. Learn this website as good as you can.

- Next year, find a unit that you can draw with 1 point in the "special" draw. The tag cost a couple hundred more than the regular draw tag, but can potentially bump you up several years of points. You won't need an outfitter if you go this direction.

- Pack tents, coolers, ice, bullets, and go have a good time.

- After you settle on a unit, look into getting doe tags. Antelope are delicious. You'll want to bring as much home as possible. Just remember to get them on ice quickly. They're also member of the Bovidae family and are not Cervidae, so the CWD regs do not apply to them. They can be brought back into the state without any special import requirements.

- Don't forget to ask more questions as they arise.
Good advice right there!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
tellico4x4
8 Point

Return to Hunting - other than deer