• Advertisement

Colorado Leftover Tags

Talk about Elk

Colorado Leftover Tags

Postby gtk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 pm

Just curious, has anyone here ever been successful getting a leftover tag in CO (deer or elk) ? If so, how many tags were available for the hunt you got ?
gtk
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Colorado Leftover Tags

Postby UPSman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes on the elk. There was around 500 or so for the unit I wanted when I got mine. Its always a cluster when they open the tags for sale on Tuesday. Their site crashes, it will say you got your tag when in fact you didn't, there is always drama with CPW when these go on sale.
WINNING! January 20, 2017

No job? No money? Can't get laid? Join Antifa
UPSman
14 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 am

I'm going to try for a couple diff ones, but there are only a handful for what i want.

I learned something over the weekend. when i buy an OTC bull tag for 2nd rifle, AND if I am not successful, i can NOT buy another OTC license for 3rd season. I did not realize that. The only way to get another tag is a "B" tag from leftover list.
gtk
10 Point

Postby gtk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 pm

even though I had no hopes of getting a leftover tag, i applied for a mule deer buck for the 2nd rifle and got it :super:
guess i'll be elk AND mulie hunting again this year
gtk
10 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:08 pm

gtk wrote:even though I had no hopes of getting a leftover tag, i applied for a mule deer buck for the 2nd rifle and got it :super:
guess i'll be elk AND mulie hunting again this year

What unit are you headed to this year. I am headed out for third rifle in units 77/78
Phil. 2:3
TNRifleman
10 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:34 am

75/751

are you hunting around Pagoso Springs? beautiful up there. i drove thru their last weekend, and was drooling at all the fishing places along the way
gtk
10 Point

Postby turk870 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:27 pm

I tried for deer tag but the area I was looking at there were only 3 on the leftover list. So looks like im keeping the 1st rifle elk tag for the Grand Mesa. Should be a fun time, even though im not very optimistic on being successful having never stepped foot in this area, but going to have fun either way. Good luck
turk870
6 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:45 pm

I drove thru Mancos last week, and saw some elk, which shocked me with it being so warm and they were down low. There was a dead elk calf in the road right before Mancos.

If you think you may be interested, check into a bear tag when you go. They are allowing bear tags to be bought in a lot of areas if you have an elk/deer tag in the same area, and non-res is only $101. And there are a lot of bears in the area.

there were only 12 tags available for the one i wanted, so never discount luck. The CPW employee i talked too, said often people see only a handful of tags available so no one applies, thinking they don't have a chance..
gtk
10 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 pm

gtk wrote:75/751

are you hunting around Pagoso Springs? beautiful up there. i drove thru their last weekend, and was drooling at all the fishing places along the way

Yes, we are still trying to figure out exactly where we will hunt and stay but that is the plan for now. Our plan is to go this year and start learning the area and hunt that unit going forward and keep learning.
TNRifleman
10 Point

Postby gtk » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Friendly suggestion to make reservations real soon. I don't know about 3rd season, but pagoso springs is slap-full of elk hunters & campers, when I drive thru every year during 2nd season.

Also, be prepared for snow & cold. Last year when I left durango mid-way thru 2nd season, it was in the 50's and raining, and by the time i crested the pass above pagosa springs, there was 6" of snow in the road ! :)

I hope yall get lucky , and if you do, the folks at "The Buck Stops Here" in pagosa will process it for you, and quickly.. They are super nice folks. Not cheap by any means, but i have been really pleased with their processing.

I'll be passing thru there 2nd season again this year.
gtk
10 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:26 pm

gtk wrote:Friendly suggestion to make reservations real soon. I don't know about 3rd season, but pagoso springs is slap-full of elk hunters & campers, when I drive thru every year during 2nd season.

Also, be prepared for snow & cold. Last year when I left durango mid-way thru 2nd season, it was in the 50's and raining, and by the time i crested the pass above pagosa springs, there was 6" of snow in the road ! :)

I hope yall get lucky , and if you do, the folks at "The Buck Stops Here" in pagosa will process it for you, and quickly.. They are super nice folks. Not cheap by any means, but i have been really pleased with their processing.

I'll be passing thru there 2nd season again this year.

THanks. We booked a cabin in Lake City. I was looking at the route you spoke of. I will watch the weather and if thye have gotten a lot of snow, I may drive to Santa Fe and north from there. Does not seem to be any high passes that way vs. coming in from the E/NE.
TNRifleman
10 Point

Postby gtk » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Your staying a good bit north of pagaso then .

When i lived in the south, we woudl drive I-40 all the way, then at santa-fe go north up thru Taos. you should stop at the big texan in amarillo, and eat (make sure you get the calf fries). A friend told me it was good luck, and every year we stopped, whoever ate the calf fries got an elk ..

There are still a few cow tags left in area 64,65 which is not too far from lake city, but i woudl imagine if your interested, you need to grab one quick.
gtk
10 Point

Postby TNRifleman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:52 am

gtk wrote:Your staying a good bit north of pagaso then .

When i lived in the south, we woudl drive I-40 all the way, then at santa-fe go north up thru Taos. you should stop at the big texan in amarillo, and eat (make sure you get the calf fries). A friend told me it was good luck, and every year we stopped, whoever ate the calf fries got an elk ..

There are still a few cow tags left in area 64,65 which is not too far from lake city, but i woudl imagine if your interested, you need to grab one quick.

Well, For some reason, the actual address is Lake City, but the cabin is only 15-20 minutes N/NW of Pagosa Springs. It is a little S/SW of Williams Creek Resevoir. If I am looking at the different maps correctly, it looks like we can walk 400 yards off the private land of the cabin and be on BLM land that is huntable.
TNRifleman
10 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

Me drinking and training in that area
The river was rolling in mid June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AT Hiker
14 Point

Return to Hunting - other than deer