New 45 1-20 twist build

GMB54

Knight started selling Mountaineer 45 1-20 barrel kits for $339. Since i had a surplus of Knight parts im slapping this together. Added a Lehigh Mountaineer breach plug and bare primer bolt body also. Vortex DiamondBack HP 3x12x42 on top of a prototype 1 piece base. Only screwed on the sun shade for grins. Probably will not leave it on.
UMWaz1f.jpg

ROVERBOY

That should be pretty good. .45 cals. are underrated in my opinion. White Muzzleloading used to make a .45 that shot cast bullets and some were over 400 gr. I guarantee that thing was a smacker.

GMB54

I enjoy shooting conicals. Mild amounts of BH209 with a 350-465gr soft lead conical will kill anything in NA with hooves. My whitetail load is a simple Gould 330gr HP. Cast in pure lead its 346gr and 70gr of BH209 by volume. I shoot that in my Super DISC 45. Its easy on the shoulder and plenty effective to 100yards+.

mike243

Nice rifle, will end up getting a 45 for my savage,never load 2 240 deadshot practice rounds on top of 43g of N110 , don't think the 3.5 mag shotgun kicked near that bad lol ,I will stick with 250-300g from now on lol. no it wasn't on purpose either

GMB54

It will drop in any Knight stock that has the forked lug.

UltraLite
Mountaineer
Elite
Long Range Hunter
Current production Knight stocks
Other Knight stocks like older Extreme stocks need minor inletting for the fork lug

It also requires a Mountaineer/UltraLite breach plug. Extreme/Elite plugs are shorter. A Mountaineer plug from Lehigh is $24.45 shipped

To make the conversion easier i would suggest a bare primer bolt housing from Sportmans. Its $85 shipped and it comes with a plug but its a Knight 416 plug with a braised in vent liner. You can use older Knight bolts and a NFPJ adapter but head space will be tight. Depends on your bolt. Could be as much as 20 thousands too tight. Older bolt internals thread right into the bare primer bolt body and function fine. That is what i did. I also have a plug that is 20 thousands shorter for the old style bolt. Mine only really needed to be 15 thousandths shorter.
1t0sp8t.jpg

66wQWK6.jpg

r8WcdCs.jpg

bFwLELm.jpg

GMB54

Getting close. Ive got most of the details worked out. Just need to grab a new battery for my caliper. If its all good then just loctite some mount screws. The public ranges are a zoo atm and its cold so i can test it for function at the 25yard indoor range. BUT they are $21 and if i have problem like a sticky primer im out $21 if i cant resolve the issue fast.

Test load is 80gr of Blackhorn by volume and a 460gr conical. That load will make a primer stick if head space is not tight enough. Peak pressure is still plenty safe. Test firing will also cure the DynaTek bore coating.

GMB54

Stinking indoor range allows my smokeless but not BH209. So thats a huge pain

Took the rail off to double check the screws. Not long enough IMO when i compared them to the Warnes bases they came from. So i had to slap the Warnes SS bases on for now and that meant i had to move upto medium rings also. Eye relief gets really tight with the tiny Warnes 2 piece bases and i dont want to move the scope more forward in the rings. Front ring gets too close to the turret for my liking.

I put a bug in someones ear about making some nice 2 piece steel bases for Knight because no one offers them. Warnes, Weaver and Leupold 2 piece steel bases for Knights are nearly identical. All tiny with 1 Weaver slot in them. A Murphy base is $125 and up. My idea will cost much much less and do exactly what the other 2 pieces cant.

Latest posts