• Advertisement

Chunk gun for the York Shoot

TN Muzzleloader Talk

Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Wobblyshot1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 am

Will have to do this year.
20170211_180351.jpg
20170211_180351.jpg (34.46 KiB) Viewed 114 times


Tried her out Saturday and I think I found the sweet spot. This is a four shot group at fifty yards. The York is shot at sixty yards so I'm going to have to back up and try it again.
20170209_175109.jpg
20170209_175109.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 114 times


Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Confederate American
NRA life member, National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association member
Flintlock....the only truly reliable source of ignition for a muzzle loader.
User avatar
Wobblyshot1
8 Point
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am
Location: Rutherford County

Advertisement

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby 451LRML » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:58 pm

One can't be discouraged with that, good shooting.
What are the load details?
451LRML
Spike
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Wobblyshot1 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:09 am

451LRML wrote:One can't be discouraged with that, good shooting.
What are the load details?


Thank you.
As mentioned in my other thread the Douglas barrel is caliber .45 with a 1 turn in 66" twist. The balls were cast by me and weighed. The one's that produced this group were all within a 1/2 grain. The ball diameter is .445 and patched with .020 ticking. The patches are moistened with a mixture of auto windshield washing solution with a little 100% neatsfoot oil added. It has to be shaken before applying because the oil is not water soluble. I loaded using 80 grains volume of 2Fg GOEX black powder with the patch being cut at the muzzle. I wiped between shots with one moist front and back and the one dry front and back.
Confederate American
NRA life member, National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association member
Flintlock....the only truly reliable source of ignition for a muzzle loader.
User avatar
Wobblyshot1
8 Point
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am
Location: Rutherford County

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Smo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Very nice group. Good Luck in the competition.
Smo
Spike
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:28 pm
Location: North of Al. & South of Ky.

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Stykbow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:16 pm

So, um, I'm gonna show my ignorance here. What is a chunk gun? Is it just slang for a ML or is it completely different?


Jack of all trades, but master of none!
Never look back. Something might be gaining on you!
Stykbow
6 Point
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:41 pm
Location: Campbell county

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Wobblyshot1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Stykbow wrote:So, um, I'm gonna show my ignorance here. What is a chunk gun? Is it just slang for a ML or is it completely different?


Jack of all trades, but master of none!


The matches are also sometimes referred to as an over the log shoot. The log/etc. is a "chunk" that the muzzle end of your "chunk gun" is rested upon. The gun can be any ML rifle(open iron sights) with traditional ignition. The dedicated ones are heavy and long barreled. The chunk does not necessarily have to be a log but a small wooden platform such as a short section of 4x4 on legs. These matches are fired from a prone position. I hope this helps but sometimes it may be a little difficult to understand what's going on without seeing it. I posted this link on the York shoot thread about chunk gun shooting but you may have missed it.

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vo ... 32-1.shtml
Confederate American
NRA life member, National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association member
Flintlock....the only truly reliable source of ignition for a muzzle loader.
User avatar
Wobblyshot1
8 Point
 
Posts: 1849
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:42 am
Location: Rutherford County

Re: Chunk gun for the York Shoot

Postby Stykbow » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:51 pm

Wobblyshot1 wrote:
Stykbow wrote:So, um, I'm gonna show my ignorance here. What is a chunk gun? Is it just slang for a ML or is it completely different?


Jack of all trades, but master of none!


The matches are also sometimes referred to as an over the log shoot. The log/etc. is a "chunk" that the muzzle end of your "chunk gun" is rested upon. The gun can be any ML rifle(open iron sights) with traditional ignition. The dedicated ones are heavy and long barreled. The chunk does not necessarily have to be a log but a small wooden platform such as a short section of 4x4 on legs. These matches are fired from a prone position. I hope this helps but sometimes it may be a little difficult to understand what's going on without seeing it. I posted this link on the York shoot thread about chunk gun shooting but you may have missed it.

http://www.muzzleblasts.com/archives/vo ... 32-1.shtml


I know exactly what you're talking about now. Thanks for the explanation.


Jack of all trades, but master of none!
Never look back. Something might be gaining on you!
Stykbow
6 Point
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:41 pm
Location: Campbell county


Return to TN Muzzleloader Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests