• Advertisement

Drivers license renewal

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Drivers license renewal

Postby Methane » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Apparently a TN state issued valid drivers license is not enough proof to renew a license and get the TSA approved style of license. Must present additional documentation in the form of passport, bills, birth certificate, etc. What a farce.
Methane
6 Point
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Franklin, TN

Advertisement

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Bone Collector » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Methane wrote:Apparently a TN state issued valid drivers license is not enough proof to renew a license and get the TSA approved style of license. Must present additional documentation in the form of passport, bills, birth certificate, etc. What a farce.



So you can't just go in and renew? you have to have your passport too?
Semper Fi!
User avatar
Bone Collector
16 Point
 
Posts: 15919
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:17 pm
Location: Murfreesboro, TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby DaveB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:24 pm

A valid passport is sufficient to board a plane.

If you want to renew your drivers license you need the same kinds of documentation you provide for a passport.

Have to get started on it now because either 10-1-19 or 10-31-19 you cannot board a plane with a drivers license that does not have the "star" that indicates it was renewed with the required documentation.

The DL bureau is gonna be buried--I would get going now or be SURE my passport is valid for several more years.

DaveB
16 Point
 
Posts: 12039
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:43 am
Location: Shelby County

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Buzzard Breath » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pm

DaveB wrote:A valid passport is sufficient to board a plane.

If you want to renew your drivers license you need the same kinds of documentation you provide for a passport.

Have to get started on it now because either 10-1-19 or 10-31-19 you cannot board a plane with a drivers license that does not have the "star" that indicates it was renewed with the required documentation.

The DL bureau is gonna be buried--I would get going now or be SURE my passport is valid for several more years.
Right day, wrong year. It's October 1, 2020.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
User avatar
Buzzard Breath
10 Point
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Middle

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Wildcat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:21 pm

Methane wrote:Apparently a TN state issued valid drivers license is not enough proof to renew a license and get the TSA approved style of license. Must present additional documentation in the form of passport, bills, birth certificate, etc. What a farce.


Same thing here in KY. I have to take all that stuff with me to get a new license. I don't blame them one bit. Makes it harder for people to get one when they are not the people on the license.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
User avatar
Wildcat
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 53873
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Western Ky.

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby MUP » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Try claiming illegal immigrant status...
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
User avatar
MUP
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 67938
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 am
Location: Just North of Chatt-town

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Stu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 pm

MUP wrote:Try claiming illegal immigrant status...
this is probably cause at one time illegals were able to get drivers licenses in TN. So now we have all the pain in the arse problems to renew.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Stu
6 Point
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Bambi Buster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Stu wrote:
MUP wrote:Try claiming illegal immigrant status...
this is probably cause at one time illegals were able to get drivers licenses in TN. So now we have all the pain in the arse problems to renew.



It's the result of a national mandate, not just Tennessee.

"The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for state driver's licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

The law sets forth requirements for state driver's licenses and ID cards to be accepted by the federal government for "official purposes", as defined by the Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security. The Secretary of Homeland Security has defined "official purposes" as boarding commercially operated airline flights, and entering federal buildings and nuclear power plants, although the law gives the Secretary the unlimited authority to require a "federal identification" for any other purposes.…..


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ID_Act
"The American military is like a finely crafted sword. To be effective, it must be wielded by a discerning, skilled and merciless hand."
User avatar
Bambi Buster
16 Point
 
Posts: 16624
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby BMan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 pm

I remember several years ago that Tennessee was touted as already compliant with RealID, and a google search turns up multiple news articles on same, from 2016 and earlier.

So what happened?
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point
 
Posts: 14430
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Middle TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Bambi Buster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 pm

BMan wrote:I remember several years ago that Tennessee was touted as already compliant with RealID, and a google search turns up multiple news articles on same, from 2016 and earlier.

So what happened?


Not certain, but I believe the 2016 compliance you speak of may have referred to new original licenses issued on or after that date, not renewals of existing ones. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed light on this.
"The American military is like a finely crafted sword. To be effective, it must be wielded by a discerning, skilled and merciless hand."
User avatar
Bambi Buster
16 Point
 
Posts: 16624
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby hillbillyfab » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 am

I have to share a little bit about renewing my driver's license this year before my birthday. I took the letter from the state that informed me my license was expiring. It wasn't sufficient enough to meet the requirements of domicile. I thought the little feller was pulling my leg when he told me a needed another form. I mean it's a letter from y'all, he said "I'm aware but I can't accept it." All I could do was shake my head in disbelief.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
hillbillyfab
6 Point
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Vanleer, TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby RUGER » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:42 am

So does all this brewhaha only apply if you have to get a new picture and can't renew via online?
Let 'em work
User avatar
RUGER
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 4129947
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 1999 1:00 pm
Location: TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby hillbillyfab » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 am

I had to go in because of my cdl's. I think you can avoid the hassle if you have class D's and do it online.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
hillbillyfab
6 Point
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:35 pm
Location: Vanleer, TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby BMan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 am

Bambi Buster wrote:
BMan wrote:I remember several years ago that Tennessee was touted as already compliant with RealID, and a google search turns up multiple news articles on same, from 2016 and earlier.

So what happened?


Not certain, but I believe the 2016 compliance you speak of may have referred to new original licenses issued on or after that date, not renewals of existing ones. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed light on this.

Even if that's the case, those licenses still have to be replaced as well.

Pretty sure I had to present my birth certificate when I transferred my license to TN in 1996, and I know the kids had to present theirs to get their licenses. Why are we doing the same thing over and over and over again...
I'd rather be deplorable than despicable.
BMan
16 Point
 
Posts: 14430
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm
Location: Middle TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby JeepKuntry » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Just be glad you are a man. I hear horror stories all the time of women having to find divorce documents from 20 years ago. Had a customer that was born in Tenessee, lived here for almost 60 years. Moved out of state and she has decided to come home after the passing of her spouse. Guess what, the State wants his death certificate in addition to her birth certificate before they can decided if she gets a license. We went from giving them away like candy to locking it up tighter than Fort Knox.
JeepKuntry
16 Point
 
Posts: 18177
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Clinton, TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Wildcat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:50 pm

JeepKuntry wrote:Just be glad you are a man. I hear horror stories all the time of women having to find divorce documents from 20 years ago. Had a customer that was born in Tenessee, lived here for almost 60 years. Moved out of state and she has decided to come home after the passing of her spouse. Guess what, the State wants his death certificate in addition to her birth certificate before they can decided if she gets a license. We went from giving them away like candy to locking it up tighter than Fort Knox.


While at the same time OPEN BORDERS and FREE Drivers Licenses to undocumented immigrants.

Think about that a minute.

US CITIZENS have to come up with a number of certain LEGAL documents just to get a Drivers License while at the same time undocumented aliens can get a FREE Drivers License WITHOUT any kind of documents at all.

Is THIS wrong?????
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
User avatar
Wildcat
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 53873
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Western Ky.

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Methane » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm

Part of the problem, and an easy fix to avoid some of the frustration, is the state should provide a list of required documents needed when renewing a license IF you plan to get the STAR/TSA compliant license in the renewal notice that they send in the mail. If you want to renew your license and don’t want to get the new national id-license, just go in and use one of the kiosks. The renewal notice they sent has no mention of the requirements for the new ID, just it’s time to renew. My guess is the state didn’t prepare for this.
Methane
6 Point
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: Franklin, TN

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Wildcat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Methane wrote:Part of the problem, and an easy fix to avoid some of the frustration, is the state should provide a list of required documents needed when renewing a license IF you plan to get the STAR/TSA compliant license in the renewal notice that they send in the mail. If you want to renew your license and don’t want to get the new national id-license, just go in and use one of the kiosks. The renewal notice they sent has no mention of the requirements for the new ID, just it’s time to renew. My guess is the state didn’t prepare for this.


In KY we got one in the mail AND it's on their web site.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
User avatar
Wildcat
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 53873
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Western Ky.

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am

I lost my original birth certificate during moving and having to go thru all this stuff.

If it will remove illegals from the country, then I consider a small price to pay.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4314
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

Re: Drivers license renewal

Postby Wildcat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:58 am

BULL MOOSE wrote:I lost my original birth certificate during moving and having to go thru all this stuff.

If it will remove illegals from the country, then I consider a small price to pay.


It's NOT. They are giving illegals DL's for FREE and NO legal documents at all. Not ever their birth certificates.
When a United States Congressman gets up and walks out of the House when the American people in the House Gallery chats USA, USA, then you know who hates America.
User avatar
Wildcat
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 53873
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2000 12:00 pm
Location: Western Ky.


Return to TnDeer General Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1 good shot, Ahuntin1, Bullit, CATCHDAWG, Crappieaddict, Deer Whisperer, duckriver, EastTNHunter, J.W.308, JCDEERMAN, Kilby, larry ipock, MSN [Bot], nwsg76, old guy, pockets, Rammer Jammer, rem270, rvs9, shrimphead, Snowwolfe, Southpaw, splatter, Talome13, TN Larry, tn24, TNGRIZZLY_, TNRifleman, TNTreeman, usanglure, waterfowlwidowmaker, Wildcat, wlf89 and 127 guests