• Advertisement

Hypoglycemia

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Hypoglycemia

Postby ronnycl » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Anybody have it? How do you deal with it? I am in my 40's now and after years of good health my sugar drops off the chart when I eat. I have been to the er a couple times and followed up the a endocrinologist but diet has not helped. It is to the point I find myself starring all the time and confusion off the chart. My blood sugar falls down
ronnycl
6 Point

Advertisement

Re: Hypoglycemia

Postby fairchaser » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:23 pm

That’s why we should never take our good health for granted. I hope they find the reason and it’s a simple fix.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby gtk » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:57 pm

occasionally have it, but it only occurs if i eat something with a lot of carbs for breakfast.. i break out in sweats and get real weak.
gtk
10 Point

Postby megalomaniac » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Add a spoonful of peanut butter to each meal, that should help.

If it doesn't fix it, an endocrinologist needs to get to the bottom of it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
megalomaniac
14 Point

Postby savageman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Do you have the kind that messes up your vision? When mine hits, it is hard to read a clock or look at people's faces because the parts aren't in the right place. Then I get a headache and just want to be in a dark quiet room. I have learned how to deal with it and prevent it.
savageman
6 Point

Postby hillbillyfab » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 am

I experienced my first bout with it a couple years ago. I turned 40 this year. Like others said, I figured out I was in a world of hurt if I filled up on carbs without realizing it, cokes, juices, junk food etc. I cut all that out. Cleaned up my diet and started making better decisions regarding my diet. When I quit drinking my calories that made the biggest difference. I use a serving of Muscle Milk when I know I've fallen behind in my diet. I followed up with an Endocrinologist and she told me my diet was working and to keep doing what I was doing and suggested strength training. Now I don't lift weights, but I do make it a point to be more active. I only know what works for me, but if I can answer any questions, I'll be glad to. It was alarming in the beginning when I didn't know what was happening. Good luck and I wish you the best. You can control it with some changes I do believe.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
hillbillyfab
6 Point

Postby Deer Assassin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:09 am

gtk wrote:occasionally have it, but it only occurs if i eat something with a lot of carbs for breakfast.. i break out in sweats and get real weak.

Ditto
If you can't hang 'em on the wall
Hang 'em in your teeth
Deer Assassin
Non-Typical

Postby buckbstr_1 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:21 am

Since I entered my 40s I have had to change diet drastically! I eat only lunch and small dinner. I make sure the carbs that I eat are from veggies and proteins are good cut of meat or fish. The excess carbs in my morning meals really made me feel bad through out the entire day. I think that I would get s doctor's opinion and then try to solve this issue with a good diet.
buckbstr_1
6 Point

Postby rtaylor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 am

I keep sugar pills on me all the time. I also try to eat more protein and less carbs. Rough stuff for sure.
rtaylor
4 Point

Postby jlanecr500 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:51 am

There are 2 types, Reactive and Fasting. The ladder is the bad one. It sounds like you have reactive hypoglycemia. I started having episodes in my early 40's, mostly more than 2 hours after eating something really high in carbs.
I have self-managed it for 10 years now and suffer an attack once or twice per month when I forget. I still eat what I want but I'm also prepared to eat something within a couple of hours. I've learned some of the triggers, such as hot cakes in the morning. My first meal of the day can be anything but if it is high carb, I have to be prepared to eat a snack within 2 hours or less. My sister manages hers by eating several small meals 2 hours apart.
jlanecr500
8 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum