• Advertisement

TN-Trump may approve strip mining

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Re: TN-Trump may approve strip mining

Postby Spurhunter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:45 pm

TNGRIZZLY_ wrote:I am also against clear cutting for logging.

Not to hijack the original thread, but I agree. I hate to see land raped by clear cutting. I am pro timber cutting and even cut some timber off my farm, but select cutting is the only thing I would ever consider.
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Advertisement

Postby Bambi Buster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:11 am

Spurhunter wrote:

Not to hijack the original thread, but I agree. I hate to see land raped by clear cutting. I am pro timber cutting and even cut some timber off my farm, but select cutting is the only thing I would ever consider.

^^^^This^^^^^^
"The American military is like a finely crafted sword. To be effective, it must be wielded by a discerning, skilled and merciless hand."
Bambi Buster
16 Point

Postby farmin68 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 am

Bambi Buster wrote:
Spurhunter wrote:

^^^^This^^^^^^

There are times when a tract needs to be clear cut.
farmin68
16 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:33 am

farmin68 wrote:There are times when a tract needs to be clear cut.

Anything can be debated and there are exceptions to every rule, but I would guess the times a tract "needs" to be clear cut are few and far between.
Harvesting hens is not necessary. It cuts into the reproductive capacity of the population. I don't know why any state permits it. -Dr. Lovett Williams

Dead hens don't lay eggs, and therefore almost never produce any poults. -Spurhunter
Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby MickThompson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 am

Spurhunter wrote:
farmin68 wrote:There are times when a tract needs to be clear cut.

Anything can be debated and there are exceptions to every rule, but I would guess the times a tract "needs" to be clear cut are few and far between.

The problem with selection cuts is they can easily turn into high grades where the poorly formed, diseased, and damaged trees are left behind. A couple cycles of that and there’s nothing left to cut. The partial shade also favors shade tolerant species like beech and maple. A silvicultural clear cut restarts the entire stand at the same point so the good trees have as good a chance as poor species. It also favors shade intolerant species like poplar and oaks. Selection cuts don’t have nearly the aesthetic impact that clear cuts do but that’s pretty short-lived.
MickThompson
10 Point

Postby Spurhunter » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:30 am

MickThompson wrote:The problem with selection cuts is they can easily turn into high grades where the poorly formed, diseased, and damaged trees are left behind. A couple cycles of that and there’s nothing left to cut. The partial shade also favors shade tolerant species like beech and maple. A silvicultural clear cut restarts the entire stand at the same point so the good trees have as good a chance as poor species. It also favors shade intolerant species like poplar and oaks. Selection cuts don’t have nearly the aesthetic impact that clear cuts do but that’s pretty short-lived.

Sounds reasonable, but it always looks to me like all a clear cut does it create erosion. My farm is almost completely oak. I just do what my forestry guy tells me to do to preserve the land and have a retirement nest egg growing.

Spurhunter
12 Point

Postby WTM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:49 pm

larry ipock wrote:Against!!! I grew up in Scott County. I well remember the ruined creeks, some to this day will not support ant kind of aquatic life. Mud slides on homes, terrible roads due to overweight trucks, overloaded shot holes that sometimes put holes in peoples roofs and cracked foundations. Mine water that ALWAYS eventually got loose into streams. Even If reclaimed properly, (which usually never was), leaves such a scar on the land, and takes years for it to be useable for wildlife, and never ever resembled what it once looked like. There is a right way and wrong way to get resources. Strip mines (and clearcutting BTW), ain't one of em. My Father's job was connected to strip mining. My wife's father retired a miner. And I worked in the strip mines in my 20s and 30s. Done everything but operate a dozer. So I know a little of what I'm talking about. It paid well and kept folks from hardship otherwise. I pray it never gets approved!

yeah folks praising all the wildlife and reclamation need to take a drive to west VA or out west to some of the mines in wyoming. the problem now is companies form an LLC and claim self bonded. this means that they are responsible as long as they are financially viable. the sad truth is they claim bankrupt to get out of it and with the Chinese buying up these mines, do we really think that they will give a hoot about any environmental impacts?
WTM
14 Point

Postby dr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:30 pm

They've been strip mining for years. There's one bout a mile from my hunting property, and no longer in operation. They cleaned, reclaimed it and it has provided food, cover for wildlife.
The Forest was shrinking, But the trees kept voting for the Axe, because it's handle was made of wood. And, they thought it was one of them.
dr
12 Point

Postby Stu » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Strip mining is done different today. They have to reclaim it and control water runoff in the process. Water runoff was a major problem during mining that killed streams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu
8 Point

Postby Crappie Luck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:11 pm

Avinatie has photos of Trump with a Strip Miner...or was that Minor Stripper. I can't remember.... LOL
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis
Crappie Luck
Non-Typical

Postby The Ol Professor » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:31 pm

"Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County, down by the Green River where paradise lays? I'm sorry my child but you're too late in askin', Mr. Peabody's coal train done hauled it away."
The wealthy man can get hunting anyhow, but the man of small means is dependent solely upon wise and well-executed game laws for his enjoyment of the sturdy pleasure of the chase. Theodore Roosevelt
The Ol Professor
8 Point

Postby larry ipock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:07 pm

The Ol Professor wrote:"Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County, down by the Green River where paradise lays? I'm sorry my child but you're too late in askin', Mr. Peabody's coal train done hauled it away."

I wish someone would have written a song like that for Scott, Morgan, Fentress, Campbell, and McCreary Co. KY.
larry ipock
8 Point

Postby larry ipock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm

Stu wrote:Strip mining is done different today. They have to reclaim it and control water runoff in the process. Water runoff was a major problem during mining that killed streams.

Yeah, the coal companies had to do that by law in the 60s, 70s and 80s.Some did and some did as little as they could get by with. It wouldn't be any different today.
larry ipock
8 Point

Postby 7mm08 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:25 pm

No expert on coal but I have hunted MN and MAINE for grouse. They clear cut big patches of timber and yes you look for 5-10 year regrowth to hunt. Now the upside is the deer in MAINE especially in the Rangeley region the bucks average 200-220 pounds and there isn’t a farm around for a hundred miles to feed off of corn, alfalfa or whatever. They are bruisers! Of course some of this is genetics but you can that regrowth is a powerful food source.
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians" - George Mason(Father of the Bill of Rights)
7mm08
14 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

Coal does not burn in the ground.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby shane37110 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:11 pm

shane37110
8 Point

Postby WTM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:36 pm

larry ipock wrote:
Stu wrote:Strip mining is done different today. They have to reclaim it and control water runoff in the process. Water runoff was a major problem during mining that killed streams.

Yeah, the coal companies had to do that by law in the 60s, 70s and 80s.Some did and some did as little as they could get by with. It wouldn't be any different today.

yeah for the uninformed:

https://www.register-herald.com/news/mi ... 433eb.html

guess who picks up the tab after the companies go bankrupt? the state. illinois is getting pennies on the dollar from Peabody on their bankruptcy settlement. the state of illinois will have to pick up the rest.

as far as cutting the timber and removing 1000 feet deep of soil and rock, a lot of times whatever they plant doesnt take because of erosion, then it causes flash flooding on the valley fill ponds and they overflow into the creeks and rivers. Pigeon creek in west virginia has had homes swept away from it.

dont believe me, go on google earth and take a look.
WTM
14 Point

Postby mike243 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:59 am

I drive around a lot working in E Tn-Ky-Va ,I look at the mountains and see a lot of sheer cliff faces and have to wonder was that man made or nature made? , I suspect it was man made most of the time, I just cant see the justification for starting strip mining again when they have mines already in place , Train service would have to be used in order to make it profitable but where's it going? , anybody know? .
I'm Just a Spike/button Hunter, I will shoot a Trophy if 1 comes by but will settle for what the Lord provides/trophy's are in the eyes of the hunter not their neighbors
mike243
16 Point

Postby BMan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:47 pm

BULL MOOSE wrote:Coal does not burn in the ground.

Well...

Coal seam burning since 1962, forces town to be abandoned
The last thing Osama bin Laden saw was an American Flag. It was on my shoulder. I was standing.
BMan
16 Point

Postby TAFKAP » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:43 am

After what I saw of the process from the Brownsville Megasite Boondoggle, don't expect TDEC to help in any way. TN is programmed to roll over for industry, environment be damnned.
TAFKAP
16 Point

PreviousNext

Return to TnDeer General Forum