• Advertisement

Friday will be tough

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Friday will be tough

Postby Stu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Friday we are going to have our lab put down. She’s been a good dog but she is in bad shape with arthritis and i cant stand watching her in pain. She is 13 years old and out of gas so we all sat down and set a date. Its gonna be rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu
8 Point

Advertisement

Re: Friday will be tough

Postby Crappieaddict » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:53 pm

I feel for y’all. Hard to do.
Crappieaddict
6 Point

Postby Chaneylake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 am

I have done this only one time, it was hard as hello.

Not being ugly by no means but I would not wait till Friday. To me that just delays the hurt, sorrow and pain.

When my last pup got that way, he looked at me like he had never looked before.

I interpreted his stare into my eyes as " hey you have got to do something I am at the end "

1 hour later I was digging a deep hole with the mini excavator
Don't piss down my back and tell me its rain, Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales

Having you along is like losing 2 good men

You do not have permission to view the attached photos
Chaneylake
16 Point

Postby gobblesandgrunts » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 am

I am sorry, I did this with my doberman in the spring of 2012. He got bone cancer. Could have amputated his right hind leg but what kind of life is that for a dog that loves to run fast. Absolutley killed me. Not a day goes by that I dont think about him. You will get through it though. Just remember all the great times you had together. It's not worth seeing them in pain. I'll say a prayer for you and your friend.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
gobblesandgrunts
8 Point

Postby Chaneylake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 am

Get a puppy as soon as possible
Don't piss down my back and tell me its rain, Fletcher, Outlaw Josey Wales

Having you along is like losing 2 good men

You do not have permission to view the attached photos
Chaneylake
16 Point

Postby Snake » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:45 am

Hate it for you and your family , prayers sent .
Snake
Non-Typical

Postby MUP » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:52 am

Stu wrote:Friday we are going to have our lab put down. She’s been a good dog but she is in bad shape with arthritis and i cant stand watching her in pain. She is 13 years old and out of gas so we all sat down and set a date. Its gonna be rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really feel for you Stu, as I'm in the exact same place right now, with our 13 yr old lab. She has cancer, but is still sprite and happy right now. I dread it.
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
MUP
Non-Typical

Postby JAY B » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:00 am

Tougher to do than most will ever realize, hang in there buddy!!
JAY B
8 Point

Postby RUGER » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:01 am

We will be thinking about ya'll.
Sucks, no way around it. :(
Pffft forget that, I'm going fishing.
RUGER
Non-Typical

Postby DoubleRidge » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:19 am

Heart hurts just reading this...been there and it's tough......but know in your heart your doing the right thing out of respect for the animal.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
DoubleRidge
6 Point

Postby TNTreeman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 am

Very sorry for you and your family
TNTreeman
8 Point

Postby cbhunter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:31 am

Took my father in law just yesterday to put down his cocker spaniel. She was a few days shy of her 15th birthday. She hasn't ate well in two weeks and hadn't ate much at all for a few days. She was basically laying there starving to death. She was very aware but couldn't get up without falling or nothing. Although it was/is very hard on him, I am glad he finally made the decision.

Prayers for your family man
cbhunter
16 Point

Postby Mike Belt » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:42 am

One of the toughest things you'll ever have to do. I don't envy you but anyone that owns a dog will face the same sooner or later. Love them while they're here. They'll for sure love you.
Mike Belt
Non-Typical

Postby gator-n-buck » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 am

Got to be hard to do and agree about getting a new dog asap.
gator-n-buck
Non-Typical

Postby rem270 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am

I've never had to have one put down but our 2 oldest inside dogs are both 11. The one I consider mine has had hip problems the last few years but it got really bad a few months ago and could just tell she didn't feel good. I took her in and it was killing me just knowing something might be wrong. Luckily just meds got her feeling better but I don't even want to think about the day we have to do that to them. I've seen folk take off work and have a day just for their dog. Take them riding, feed them cheeseburgers and ice cream, etc. I think that would make it harder for me but can you imagine getting that treatment right before you were put down? That's something to think about. Thinking about yall man :(
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
rem270
Non-Typical

Postby rem270 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:36 am

Chaneylake wrote:Get a puppy as soon as possible

I know folks are different when it comes to the mourning part but I don't think I could get one ASAP. I'd have to try and get over the loss first. What I did do though to maybe help things is got a new pup about 4 months ago. He's 6 months old now and a great dog and once our old dogs (11 years old) are gone it will probably ease the hurt some by having him around.

Some people we know had their 6 month old bloodhound get ran over Dec 23rd (The owners need their butt kicked) and had another within 16 hours. That just seems way too soon.
Everyone should give Jesus a try once. If you don't like it Satan will always take you back.
rem270
Non-Typical

Postby Wrangler95 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:57 am

Thats terrible,prayers for your family
Jeeps,Honda's & Thompson Center's

"As the deer longs for stream's of water,so I long for you,o God"
Psalms42:1
Wrangler95
18 Point

Postby duckduck84 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:05 am

We put our lab, Jax, down a few years ago and it was the worst I've ever seen my wife cry in our time together. It's heartbreaking, but I also look at it as our ultimate responsibility when the time comes. Dogs have such a huge place in our lives, for what seems like such a short time, and as crazy as this sounds. I have always felt that being there for them right until the end, and making that decision to ease their pain is something of a gift we can give them. Maybe I feel that way because I personally do not want to linger in pain and suffering until death, but I know Jax made it very clear to us her time with us was over and as much as it hurt to lose her, it hurt worse to watch her be in pain.

As far as immediately getting another dog, I would wait. You'll know when the time is right. For us our other dog let us know she was lonely and as fate would have it, a darned ole beagle got in Ruger's backyard and well...we ended up with a border beagle named Luna who is still one of the greatest dogs I have ever owned.

I'll be praying for y'all, Stu.
Aim small, miss small.
duckduck84
8 Point

Postby Hunter 257W » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:26 am

I had to do this with my dog October of 2017. It was tough and I still don't want another dog. Not sure I want to go through that again plus I don't just want "a dog" - I want my dog.
Hunter 257W
14 Point

Postby shane37110 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 pm

I hate that for you man. I had to put my old dog down a few years ago after a copperhead got him. It's tough.
I have 5 of the sweetest pretty pups out of my mini border collie that will be ready to go in a couple of weeks. The caveat is we're not sure what the dad is. She's a rescue that showed up pregnant with a big gash on her neck I had to doctor up. But the pups are about 2 weeks from being ready to go.
shane37110
8 Point

Next

Return to TnDeer General Forum