• Advertisement

Getting discouraged again....I think

Pretty much anything you want to talk about!

Getting discouraged again....I think

Postby Tenntrapper » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 am

First and foremost, this is not a pity party. More "just rambling". For the last 3-4 years I get this way about mid-season, and I'm not sure what causes it. It's not about killing a deer, I've passed on several. Last year, I didn't take one, again passing on several. I think up till last year, Ive tagged out for as long as I can remember. The last couple days I've been sitting out there, I've been hearing the squirrels cutting nuts, and it makes me wonder if I would rather be hunting them. Maybe it's memories of squirrel hunting with my grandfather, I'm not sure. But, I sure do miss that. On the other hand, I absolutely despise cleaning squirrels. With the exception of my daughter, all of my hunting buddies have either aged out or lost interest. I enjoy hunting alone, but something is missing. My health has made it difficult to drag deer, but hunting here on the farm, I can drive right to them. Our other property was a nightmare to get one out. My wife decided that a boat would remedy that (and it did), but that requires getting up that much earlier, to get boat to lake and navigating in the dark on a lake at low pool...and the added dangers of that. I just can't get motivated to go do it. I enjoy hunting with my daughter, but our schedules, don't allow for us to hunt together more than a couple times a year. I know that I'm rambling, but I guess I'm hoping others have gone through this and can offer some suggestions. I spend way to much time and energy getting ready for deer season just to end up mid-season feeling like this. It's no fun.
Tenntrapper
4 Point

Advertisement

Re: Getting discouraged again....I think

Postby Snake » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 am

I can relate got up this morning to go but my back stopped that used to I just weathered the storm . Haven't even got the gumption to go to the lease which I know is much better than what little hunting I've done on my little place but need to service my four-wheeler which still needs to be done . To many irons in the fire plus my desire to has dwindled in recent years especially since I lost my lease in middle Tennessee , I just need to get retired next year and if I'm going to stay on the new place I need to at least get over there and do some scouting . In past years when I had the opportunity to hunt new property I was like a kid in a candy store and couldn't wait to look it over . Wife's health plus mine just makes it very difficult to go but hopefully next year it will be different . TT don't give up like I almost have as you get older it will.be much harder , like you all my other hunting buds have quit and my grandson is working or seeing the ladies so I'm hunting also by myself which really don't bother me but it does my wife . Oh well sorry not trying to hijack but let you know I relate .
Snake
Non-Typical

Postby Buzzard Breath » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:04 am

I get that way almost every year. I solve it by not resisting the urge and just going squirrel hunting. I relax around the house a little longer in the morning. I hunt public land, so I wait until the sun comes up and find an access without another hunter and just enjoy the morning. Sometimes, I'll even skip all the hunting and grab the flyrod if they aren't generating. There's no reason to make yourself do something when your heart's not into it. It helps me to enjoy the deer hunts a little more when I do feel like going.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Buzzard Breath
10 Point

Postby Matador » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 am

To me deer hunting by ones self is never as much fun as with friends. I would suggest volunteering to take a couple of friends (from church, family etc. Someone you already know a little) or joining a reputable hunting club on a lease or start your own. That way you make new friends, memories and have help available when you need help. Deer hunting is not just about killing a deer.
Matador
14 Point

Postby BLC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:21 am

Trapper - I also can relate to your circumstances; unfortunately I can't offer any remedy.
I'm 55 and each year my time in the woods seems to be less. In the hot months of summer and September I daydream of cooler days and yea, this year I'm going to spend more time in the woods - I know I will...but it did not happen - again. I also have a disdain for cleaning squirrels. I have a lot of experience with cleaning squirrels; I haven't cleaned one in probably 10 years; that smell returns and fills my nostrils while just writing this...hickory nut guts.
Hang in there. Maybe our memories of hunts past with folks we cared about can bring some contentment; I find some solace in those memories. Maybe the fire will come back next year, in the fall of 2020 - when the weather is good!
BLC
Spike

Postby mrjim43 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:55 am

The camp fire is burning low, get up and go got up just about has left. Not like it used to be. Lost a lot the last few years. It's just life. But Im still kicking
Old Age is just Killing ME.....
mrjim43
8 Point

Postby woodyard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:06 am

I have gotten burned out before. Years ago my family and a close friend made many memories deer hunting. Their children grew up and kind of drifted away from hunting. We also quail hunted a lot. Family is older and don’t want to go now. Best friend passed away several years ago. I basically got burned out killing basket racks back then. Quit for a few years and let other guys hunt my land.

Then my son came along and got me interested again ad we hunted like we were on fire. Now he is on his own and many miles away and so I am on my own again. Lost some interest , but still have hunted he last few years. Retired and hunted and hunted a lot last year and killed two nice bucks.

This year I haven’t been excited about it all. Got into duck hunting with ruger and all that, so have a new challenge.However I went most days of mz season and now many days of rifle so far. Have passed a lot of bucks and about ready to go ahead and shoot one now if it happens.

Sometimes we just need new challenges mixed in. Several years ago I got burned out on crappie fishing.Basically quit. NowIhave started back but not as much.

As for this time in my life I will do what I feel like most of the time and just enjoy observing everything outside and not worry too much about a trophy deer or a lunker fish. Back in April I had a near miss with a heart situation after having one 12 years ago. now I just want to get out and enjoy the sun rises and the natural world around me that God has blessed us with. I am lucky to still be able to get out in the woods or on the water. God gave me a another chance to enjoy these frosty mornings and I think I am going to keep on keeping on till I can’t.
woodyard
8 Point

Postby Smo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 am

I get the same way usually...

I just explained too my Wife the other day about how hunting is not about killing a deer..

It’s about the hunt....

The older I get(62) the harder things become, getting down on a knee too gut a deer is not a simple as it once was.

Climbing in and out of the stand is not as easy as it once was, plus it can be dangerous.

Like many others I mostly hunt alone, by choice.

I do like too take the Grandsons on an occasional trip, but hunting from a shooting house is really not my kind of hunting.

I have taken several decent deer in this manner , but prefer hunting from the ground.

I enjoy trying too locate an area where a good buck is using and set up a natural ground blind or sometimes I just sit by a creek crossing or sit and watch heavy cover.

[imImage

Nothing like spending quite, quality time in the woods with a well tuned flintlock.
Smo
8 Point

Postby OldGoat68 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 am

I understand the feelings. I'm just not as fired up as I used to be. Still love to get into the tree, just don't as much since it's more by myself now. OK with that though. Seem to pass on more deer now, have found that I pretty much just look for the big boys unless I've had a request for some tasty freezer meat.

I had an older hunting buddy, who has passed on now, that used to tell me "I'm just not as mad at them deer as I once was." I think I understand what he was saying.
OldGoat68
4 Point

Postby Nimrod777 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:22 pm

It's a natural evolution for the hunter, and rarely changes pattern. We even taught it in Hunter Safety classes. You start out wanting to kill the max allowable (sometimes even if methods push the boundaries of what is legal, ethical, sensible or advisable). You eventually find yourself being much more selective in methods and quarry, and ultimately you may not feel much of the drive for the "Take", as you've already proven yourself for years, not to mention starting to equate the trigger pull or arrow release with a load of labor ahead.

The hope is that somewhere in there, towards the latter end of things, you will pass along your training and skills to another, usually younger, hunter. At that point, the "Take" of the hunt is much less likely to fill a freezer. Rather, it fills the memories, because the end result is enjoying the excitement and enthusiasm of the younger hunter as they react to all of the new experiences you are sharing with them. I hope every TNDeer member is able to recall just how incredible those early days of hunting were, and realizes just what it will mean to the next hunter you mentor.
You can always take a shot, but you can never take it back. Be careful how you hunt... more careful how you live.
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Postby Tenntrapper » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:32 pm

I agree with nimrod on the "trigger pull = work. I've caught myself thinking about this with a deer in the cross hairs. Usually end up standing down...just not worth it. I think now it would take a really nice buck to get me to pull the trigger.
Tenntrapper
4 Point

Postby Kirk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:46 pm

I have "evolved" just as Nimrod described. I have let several small does and bucks walk. This year my goal is an AirGun buck kill. I am waiting on a big bodied buck to stroll past.
Kirk
16 Point

Postby Bambi Buster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Nimrod777 wrote:.........The hope is that somewhere in there, towards the latter end of things, you will pass along your training and skills to another, usually younger, hunter. At that point, the "Take" of the hunt is much less likely to fill a freezer. Rather, it fills the memories, because the end result is enjoying the excitement and enthusiasm of the younger hunter as they react to all of the new experiences you are sharing with them. I hope every TNDeer member is able to recall just how incredible those early days of hunting were, and realizes just what it will mean to the next hunter you mentor.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

If we live long enough, there may come a time when the vicissitudes of age and infirmity preclude mentoring as well, at least it the field. At that point, it may be helpful to dwell more on what you have had, rather than what you have lost. If one has been blessed with a good place to hunt, satisfaction can be derived from sharing it with a few who are not so fortunate, but no less deserving.
"The American military is like a finely crafted sword. To be effective, it must be wielded by a discerning, skilled and merciless hand."
Bambi Buster
16 Point

Postby JeepKuntry » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 pm

This has been quite the frustrating year. Very disappointed in our lease in East Tn. Very few sightings and I'm pondering getting off and transitioning back to public land. Using my boat more. I have yet to see the first doe in East Tn this fall. Hoping my luck changes this weekend on the Oak Ridge draw hunt.
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Postby MickThompson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:17 pm

If it’s getting stale, change it up. Go scout a new piece of public land. Go squirrel hunting. Go fishing, hiking, anything but deer hunting.
MickThompson
10 Point

Return to TnDeer General Forum