Good start to the year

BAMA BOW MERKER

Got lucky on the velvet hunt with my first velvet and my first drop tine deer. Had a heavy rain storm come through about 4 pm and it rained pretty hard for about two and a half hours. Actually got a little cold in August with the wind. No lightning so I stayed in the tree. Soon as it quit, had a deer down wind start blowing and bout a half hour later this guy came by very close inside of 5 yds. Thought I had hit him a little high, but with the straight down angle it was right through the boiler room. Made for a quick recovery. Thank you Lord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,299
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,288

Andy S.

Beautiful buck, congrats on persevering and getting it done. You made the best out of an undesirable situation (rain storm, then a 5 yard shot). Quartering away? How high were you in the tree?

BAMA BOW MERKER

Thanks guys. I was sitting in a lock-on at the top of a 20 ft climbing stick that I hung mid day. I was on the edge of a small clover/radish plot that was close to a big bean field that a lot of deer had been using. This buck actually stayed behind me in the woods walking parallel with the plot inside the timber. It was a steep drop off behind me in a ditch and he was at the bottom of it, I was actually about 27-30 ft above him. I drew my bow with him on my left side up under me but it was too thick to get a shot, he walked directly behind the tree within about 5 yds and I had to do a 360 turn while at full draw and stopped him on my back right side. It was a steep 5 yd shot quartering away and it worked out perfectly. He never saw me turn, because I was directly above him and I waited just a little bit to let him get by me. 20 yd pin at the bottom of the brisket and he ran about 40 yds

BAMA BOW MERKER

Andy S.":1l4prvo7 said:
BAMA BOW MERKER":1l4prvo7 said:
20 yd pin at the bottom of the brisket and he ran about 40 yds
Takes practice and confidence to execute this "judgement call" at the moment of truth. Congrats to you. Are you getting him mounted?

Yes sir. I'm getting the velvet freeze dried and doing a Euro with him.
And I've definitely shot high on that same shot scenario before.

catman529

BAMA BOW MERKER":l1ejoj3r said:
Andy S.":l1ejoj3r said:
BAMA BOW MERKER":l1ejoj3r said:
20 yd pin at the bottom of the brisket and he ran about 40 yds
Takes practice and confidence to execute this "judgement call" at the moment of truth. Congrats to you. Are you getting him mounted?

Yes sir. I'm getting the velvet freeze dried and doing a Euro with him.
And I've definitely shot high on that same shot scenario before.
a 5 yard shot gotta be high to hit where you want. I shot a doe at 3 yards last year, through the right backstrap and into the lungs. Hit the spine on the way down and dropped her in her tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts