Expert says CWD probable in humans in the future

scn

Since it hasn't happened in the fifty years that the disease has been recognized, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over his guess/opinion. I haven't seen anyone else in the scientific community backing up this "hot take".

fairchaser

scn":4wyojw25 said:
Since it hasn't happened in the fifty years that the disease has been recognized, I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over his guess/opinion. I haven't seen anyone else in the scientific community backing up this "hot take".

Makes you wonder what his motivation is but if it becomes a public health crisis as he suggests, maybe more resources would be available to find a solution.

Omega

It's BS politics, IMHO, and scare tactics to get money for their research if you ask me. Even the CDC hasn't put it like this idiot did. It's been over 60 years, how many "years ahead" is he predicting?

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told lawmakers recently that chronic wasting disease (CWD) should be treated as a public health issue, the Pioneer Press reported.

"It is probable that human cases of CWD associated with the consumption of contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead," Osterholm said. "It is possible that the number of human cases will be substantial and will not be isolated events."

TheLBLman

Omega":3i260j94 said:
. . . . . scare tactics to get money for their research if you ask me.
My thoughts as well.
There's tons of money to be made in fear-mongering and pushing false narratives.
Not to say we shouldn't remain vigilant,
but let's not do more harm than good with some of our fear-based reactions.

Omega":3i260j94 said:
It's been over 60 years, how many "years ahead" is he predicting?
Good point.
Kinda like saying we expect at some point there will be a new Ice Age and the human race will become extinct?
Or maybe, if you live long enough, something is going to kill you.

JJ3

fairchaser":1ep86xby said:
The director of infectious disease in Minnesota says that it's probable that CWD will infect humans in the future.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-02-1 ... -24-states

Thanks for sharing, Fairchaser. We each have to read and assimilate information and make the best decision for ourselves and families. I'm not going to keep my head in the sand.

MUP

scn":15z7vpfe said:

Same here. 50 yrs of existence and no cases reported to date, that's still pretty good odds of it not happening, IMO.

woodyard

Omega":27f69urm said:
It's BS politics, IMHO, and scare tactics to get money for their research if you ask me. Even the CDC hasn't put it like this idiot did. It's been over 60 years, how many "years ahead" is he predicting?

Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told lawmakers recently that chronic wasting disease (CWD) should be treated as a public health issue, the Pioneer Press reported.

"It is probable that human cases of CWD associated with the consumption of contaminated meat will be documented in the years ahead," Osterholm said. "It is possible that the number of human cases will be substantial and will not be isolated events."

This!

JDBinTN

If you have to make any reference to Stephen King, pretty much tells me where he's coming from. I don't understand all this, if it's found in your area can't you just test the meat and that be it? has this CWD ever wiped out a deer herd?

fairchaser

Just a common sense thought from somebody who doesn't know much. At some point and for some reason, CWD originated in Colorado. It might have jumped species from sheep to mule deer. No one really knows but we seem to be pretty sure that it started there. We also know that humans can get mad cow disease or BSE from eating infected beef. We know that TSE prion diseases can jump species but we don't know when or why. Where would we be now if cows were wild and free ranging like deer? What if a cow with BSE and a deer with CWD ended up in the same pen like those mule deer and sheep did in Colorado back in the late 60's. I know that's a lot of if's and buts. The thing is that the farther that CWD spreads, the more opportunities there are for something strange to occur. My point is that just because nothing has happened for 50+ years when CWD was almost insignificant does not mean that we are safe forever when it's spread across 26 states and 2 Canada provinces. It's too scary to contemplate.

scn

fairchaser":243rsevg said:
Just a common sense thought from somebody who doesn't know much. At some point and for some reason, CWD originated in Colorado. It might have jumped species from sheep to mule deer. No one really knows but we seem to be pretty sure that it started there. We also know that humans can get mad cow disease or BSE from eating infected beef. We know that TSE prion diseases can jump species but we don't know when or why. Where would we be now if cows were wild and free ranging like deer? What if a cow with BSE and a deer with CWD ended up in the same pen like those mule deer and sheep did in Colorado back in the late 60's. I know that's a lot of if's and buts. The thing is that the farther that CWD spreads, the more opportunities there are for something strange to occur. My point is that just because nothing has happened for 50+ years when CWD was almost insignificant does not mean that we are safe forever when it's spread across 26 states and 2 Canada provinces. It's too scary to contemplate.

And, a meteorite could come crashing through your ceiling while you are sitting there contemplating. I'd guess the odds are about the same.

There are a bunch of things out there that can kill a person and their family. I don't see much of the chicken little attitude about the 2 liter cokes being consumed like water leading to the most obese population in our history. Those and others common items are documented killers. I'm not making light of the seriousness of the disease, but some of the sky is falling takes are almost comical compared with the everyday killers people gloss over.

fairchaser

scn":8kccsih2 said:
fairchaser":8kccsih2 said:

And, a meteorite could come crashing through your ceiling while you are sitting there contemplating. I'd guess the odds are about the same.

There are a bunch of things out there that can kill a person and their family. I don't see much of the chicken little attitude about the 2 liter cokes being consumed like water leading to the most obese population in our history. Those and others common items are documented killers. I'm not making light of the seriousness of the disease, but some of the sky is falling takes are almost comical compared with the everyday killers people gloss over.

I agree that there are much bigger "fish to fry" out there to worry about. The most dangerous thing any of us do everyday is to get in our truck and turn the key or push the button. We take it for granted because we have no choice but to drive. These idiots who drive while texting have nearly hit me head on a half dozen times. It's insanity! CWD is new and it's hit all of us deer hunters in a big way especially here in West TN. Six months ago, I couldn't tell you what the acronym was. I feel like one of the most important things in my life has been taken away all at once. It's a big adjustment. I'll always remember 2018 as the year we got hit with CWD. It's only natural to react to all this new information. Right now it just feels like a nightmare you can't wake up from. I wish somebody could give us some real hope that it's not gonna be too bad. But the bad news just keeps coming.

duckduck84

scn":3t5nae17 said:

BOOM! This fear mongering crap over CWD is hysterical. People keep referencing BSE like that was some sort of freaking epidemic. 231 cases of vCJD since 1996...WORLDWIDE. Out of 7.7 billion people I'd say that is not much to worry about. I wish people would just admit they are scared and quit hunting or eating venison instead of trying to post crap that sways people to join them in their unfounded fear.

I would also add that nothing in that article supports the theory the doctor is espousing.

megalomaniac

Like I've said before, the science is rapidly unfolding. Not trying to fear monger, but I strongly believe that it is more likely CWD can be transmitted to humans than not. Believe what you want, no skin off my back. But I will not knowingly eat an infected animal.

JDBinTN

duckduck84":24wyyljg said:
scn":24wyyljg said:

BOOM! This fear mongering crap over CWD is hysterical. People keep referencing BSE like that was some sort of freaking epidemic. 231 cases of vCJD since 1996...WORLDWIDE. Out of 7.7 billion people I'd say that is not much to worry about. I wish people would just admit they are scared and quit hunting or eating venison instead of trying to post crap that sways people to join them in their unfounded fear.

I would also add that nothing in that article supports the theory the doctor is espousing.

Thanks, that is what I thought

JDBinTN

megalomaniac":3iaa3o88 said:
Like I've said before, the science is rapidly unfolding. Not trying to fear monger, but I strongly believe that it is more likely CWD can be transmitted to humans than not. Believe what you want, no skin off my back. But I will not knowingly eat an infected animal.

Me either, get the meat tested if CWD in your area

Omega

megalomaniac":2h6aboao said:
I don't think anyone is saying they will eat venison that has been tested positive, just that we are not as worried about this than the standard safety precautions, that is all. When people start yelling the sky is falling, many will react adversely to the news and that is when bad things begin to happen, as with the culling of entire deer herds for no good reason.

Latest posts