Piperton Wetlands

WRbowhunter

I need some assistance from anyone that hunts the Piperton Wetlands area. Seen the new map and a little confused and was hoping someone could give me a hand. If you would please send me a PM

TNRifleman

Looks like a lo of new WMA lands to hunt in the area although most seem t be small parcels that are all swamp. I have never hunted Piperton wetlands but my guess is that you have to hunt early season or the water will be too high.

easy45

I've hunted there once, will never go back, it was during bow season and I still had two people walk under me, friend of mine hunted several times during rifle and said it was scary, grass is way over your head but he said people were walking out through it shooting at deer they were jumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNRifleman

Yep, way too close to town which brings in way too many people. The unfortunate thing is that there is little to no public land to rifle hunt out that way. Wolf River WMA is about 7000 acres but is bow only except for a few days of MZ season.

WRbowhunter

Its nice that there is new land to hunt but your right, scary to think about going out there during Gun season. I was hoping to find a few spots to hunt during Bow season since its close to the house. I pretty much live out at the WMA during the season and even though its not that far the thought of a 5 min drive did sound kinda nice every once in a while. Hayes Road is not that bad but it gets very wet quickly and with only one point of access its very likely to get walked on.

TNRifleman

WRbowhunter":3ea77byh said:
Its nice that there is new land to hunt but your right, scary to think about going out there during Gun season. I was hoping to find a few spots to hunt during Bow season since its close to the house. I pretty much live out at the WMA during the season and even though its not that far the thought of a 5 min drive did sound kinda nice every once in a while. Hayes Road is not that bad but it gets very wet quickly and with only one point of access its very likely to get walked on.

I usual walk the mile and a half down the tracks and access Hayes through the CRP field. However, since so many people have found out about it, the deer are very scarce in daylight. I haven't actually seen a deer out there in 4 years but I also have not hunted it prior to rifle season opening.

Wolf River WMA after rifle season starts is like a ghost town. Glad it has stayed as bow only even though I would love that much public land to rifle hunt on.

Grnwing

TNRifleman,

I was just planning on doing that this evening(walking down the tracks to the CRP field). Now that it is part of the Wolf River WMA do you know if it will be open to rifle season this year or just muzzleloader and back to bow?

WRbowhunter

I believe everything north of Highyway 57 will stay Same as the regular season with the exception of Turkey hunting. that has changed. Everything south of 57 is Bow only after MZ season.

I MZ hunted Hayes Rd a few times during mid week. saw a few does. Sure would like to cross the river to hunt the north side of the river some time.

I'm really HAPPY that the main WMA is bow only. could only imagine how scary it would be walking across those fields with the tall grass.

cdtac1

It being bow only is why I hunt it so much. I see more deer there than most WMAs. Killing....that's another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNRifleman

Grnwing":2t84kg0a said:
TNRifleman,

I was just planning on doing that this evening(walking down the tracks to the CRP field). Now that it is part of the Wolf River WMA do you know if it will be open to rifle season this year or just muzzleloader and back to bow?

I have not heard of any changes for Hayes Road. That CRP field will be really thick this time of year but you can get through it. What's fun is walking fm the tracks at 4 am in December when it is in the high 20's and a big ole train comes by. talk about wind chill. We killed a few deer down there 4-5 years back but haven't seen much lately. December of '10 or '11 I watched 3 little bucks spar for a good 20 minutes right by the big swamp on the eastern edge of the property. However, if it rains, much of that area is inaccessible without waders.

Also, there seems to be a guy just north of the tracks that goes out around 8 am on opening morning of rifle season and shoots an AR for an hour or two. Did it for 2-3 years in a row.

RecurveShooter

Walking down the RR tracks is not a legal way to access the WMA. You are trespassing by doing this! The Hays Road parking area only gets you to that piece of the WMA. The parcels to the west can only be legally accessed from the river at this point in time.

TNRifleman

Just curious how walking down the tracks is trespassing? I had never heard that before. Also the one part of the CRP field juts out and butts up against the tracks. You just need to enter the field once you see the WMA signs.

Grnwing

Made it out there last night. Crossing the tracks, I did see there are no trespassing signs posted on them by the RR. I went to the parking area and it didn't take long to find plenty of trails marked with orange flagging tape to guide me through. Found a stand and saw a couple of deer. I made it to the river and cut back to the west and worked around a tupelo stand. Neat area but you can tell it is frequented. I'll spend a little more time out there this weekend.

TNRifleman

If you take the main trail straight back to the river, you can make it this time of year. Mid November or December after some fall rain and you will need waders to go straight back or anywhere west of that trail. A few years back this place was great because very few people knew about it and the trails accessing the land were great. Maybe 3 or 4 year ago, a big storm blew through and caused a lot of trees to come down across the trails. It would be really hard to get a deer out of there now from where I used to hunt on the east/northeast side of the property.

TNRifleman

Poser":34vxu8ny said:
TNRifleman":34vxu8ny said:
Just curious how walking down the tracks is trespassing? I had never heard that before. Also the one part of the CRP field juts out and butts up against the tracks. You just need to enter the field once you see the WMA signs.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trespassing along railroad rights-of-way is the leading cause of rail-related deaths in America. Nationally, more than 430 trespass fatalities and nearly as many injuries occur each year. The vast majority of these are preventable. Most railroad trespassers are pedestrians who use railroad tracks as a shortcut.

People who access railroad property without permission are not only trespassing on private property but also are susceptible to life-threatening injuries or death. The typical trespasser is a pedestrian who either fails to use designated crossing locations such as highway-rail grade crossings and dedicated pedestrian access paths or walks on or alongside the tracks. Other types of trespassing activities include fishing from railroad trestles and riding ATVs or snowmobiles on the railroad's right-of-way.

FRA works in partnership with railroad industry and labor, state and local governments, and other organizations to sponsor, plan and conduct educational outreach efforts at schools, workplaces, and other venues, in order to raise awareness about the inherent dangers and consequences of trespassing.

Well, I guess I won't be doing that again.

Latest posts