• Advertisement

Mast report

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Re: Mast report

Postby tellico4x4 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Plenty of hickory nuts, some red oak acorns & I haven't seen a single white oak acorn yet. April 28 freeze hammered ours I think. Do have persimmons as well. Good news is that clover plots look better for early September than they have in 7-8 years! Wayne & Hardin Co.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
tellico4x4
8 Point

Advertisement

Postby larry ipock » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Andy S. wrote:
larry ipock wrote:Can't find hickory nuts anywhere this year, they were everywhere last year.
I walked under a bunch of hickory trees Saturday morning and not a nut on the ground or in the trees that I could find. Killed most of my squirrels out of oaks, but they were mainly checking/throwing green acorns out of the trees. I did find some persimmons and muscadines. SW TN.

Yeah, the squirrels are bouncing around from oak to oak. Won't hardly be still long enough to get a crosshair on em. :lol:
larry ipock
8 Point

Postby huntncoach » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Saw quite a few acorns from white oaks yesterday in Rhea/Bledsoe. However, they are still green and VERY small. Hopefully there will be bigger acorns in three weeks!
huntncoach
6 Point

Postby catman529 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:43 pm

tellico4x4 wrote:Plenty of hickory nuts, some red oak acorns & I haven't seen a single white oak acorn yet. April 28 freeze hammered ours I think. Do have persimmons as well. Good news is that clover plots look better for early September than they have in 7-8 years! Wayne & Hardin Co.

I bet the red oaks don’t do well next year. They take two seasons to grow while white acorns only take one season. So this years acorns were already half way grown when the frost hit so they would be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
catman529
Non-Typical

Postby recurve60# » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:21 pm

catman529 wrote:
tellico4x4 wrote:Plenty of hickory nuts, some red oak acorns & I haven't seen a single white oak acorn yet. April 28 freeze hammered ours I think. Do have persimmons as well. Good news is that clover plots look better for early September than they have in 7-8 years! Wayne & Hardin Co.

I bet the red oaks don’t do well next year. They take two seasons to grow while white acorns only take one season. So this years acorns were already half way grown when the frost hit so they would be fine
Yes a red oak tree produces every other year. Its not that red oaks as a whole do. Eveey year there are productive red oaks. Gotta go find them.

recurve60#
6 Point

Postby Andy S. » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 pm

^^^ For sure. We find productive red oaks every year, just not the same individual trees as the year or two before.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Mast report

Postby catman529 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:02 pm

recurve60# wrote:Yes a red oak tree produces every other year. Its not that red oaks as a whole do. Eveey year there are productive red oaks. Gotta go find them.

[/quote] not necessarily. Red oaks usually produce every year, but the crop can vary of course. They bloom and set fruit every year in the spring. There will be both mature and immature acorns on the same tree when they drop in the fall.

Here’s a good link article: https://extension2.missouri.edu/g9414#production

Each fall, trees in the red oak group will have a combination of small, immature acorns on the current year’s growth and mature acorns on the previous year’s growth. Thus, species in the red oak group can provide an acorn crop in years with a late spring freeze that might have destroyed the white oak acorn crop. However, in both groups, acorn production remains very unpredictable from year to year. Research has shown that, on average, most species produce a good crop of acorns only one year out of three or four.

catman529
Non-Typical

Postby Winchester » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:41 am

Squirrels absolutely smoking the pine cones here right now along with some cutting Hickories as well. I have found some random Chestnut oak acorns on ground and both White and red oaks seem to have a decent crop still hanging the limbs which is normal for right now. Fruit trees of all kinds including Persimmons seem to have done well also. Should be plenty of food on the ground shortly, which I like but can make hunting a lil tougher, where you have to spend more time finding exactly where the deer want to be at any given time. East TN.
Winchester
Non-Typical

Postby Andy S. » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:29 am

Winchester wrote:Squirrels absolutely smoking the pine cones here right now .....
Same here for the areas I have frequented.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Only trees I've seen with mast is a few persimmons and 25% of pin oaks. The overcup oaks are 100% bare which is the only white oak in the river bottoms. Gonna be slim
TN Whitetail Freak
10 Point

Postby BAMA BOW MERKER » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:14 pm

My persimmons are about to bust. They are loaded big time in Henry County.
BAMA BOW MERKER
8 Point

Postby tellico4x4 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Been doing a lot of looking and found 4 red oaks so far with acorns, not a single white oak though... Do have a good crop of chestnut oaks dropping now. Plenty of hickory nuts and persimmons are loaded.

Have hunted this tract for 20 yrs and have been to all the good old standbys and mighty slim. Even went down into the bottom to an old house place that has 12-15 walnuts. For the first time ever there is not a single nut on them! Glad the plots are rocking!

tellico4x4
8 Point

Mast report

Postby catman529 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:19 pm

Spent a few hours walking around southern middle tennessee today. Persimmons are starting to drop pretty good, sawtooth oaks are starting, and just a few red oaks but not many.

The area I walked has at least 10 species of oak, and they all range from nothing to loaded with acorns, depending on the tree. A few of the white oaks were loaded, but all acorns are green, even the few that did drop.

The only ripe red oaks I saw on the ground were willow oak and northern red... I’d be looking for those northern reds, sawtooth, and persimmons come opener, because they’ll probably be hit first.

catman529
Non-Typical

Postby Bone Collector » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:45 pm

I found some green red oaks in mid Tn on the ground over the weekend. I think the squirrels knocked them down.
Semper Fi!
Bone Collector
16 Point

Postby double browtine » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm

catman529 wrote:Spent a few hours walking around southern middle tennessee today. Persimmons are starting to drop pretty good, sawtooth oaks are starting, and just a few red oaks but not many.

The area I walked has at least 10 species of oak, and they all range from nothing to loaded with acorns, depending on the tree. A few of the white oaks were loaded, but all acorns are green, even the few that did drop.

The only ripe red oaks I saw on the ground were willow oak and northern red... I’d be looking for those northern reds, sawtooth, and persimmons come opener, because they’ll probably be hit first.

Good information! Did you pop open a persimmon to check the snow forecast?
double browtine
12 Point

Postby catman529 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:58 pm

double browtine wrote:
catman529 wrote:Spent a few hours walking around southern middle tennessee today. Persimmons are starting to drop pretty good, sawtooth oaks are starting, and just a few red oaks but not many.

Good information! Did you pop open a persimmon to check the snow forecast?
lol no I’ve never done that

catman529
Non-Typical

Postby catman529 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Walked a creek bottom today looking for wood ducks, and man the red oaks were dropping good. Lots of deer in that bottom and I’ve killed a few there in the past. May have to slip in there in a couple weeks.

catman529
Non-Typical

Postby catman529 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:06 pm

I forgot to mention, I have noticed a lot of chinkapin oaks around middle TN that are loaded . They are usually spotty producers, so I’d say it’s above average this year. Not every tree has acorns, but a lot of them have a bunch. Should be good come mid October!

catman529
Non-Typical

Previous

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk