• Advertisement

TN Big Bucks

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am

I just don’t think that many people are registering deer anymore. A lot probably are not even aware that it exists.
https://twra.state.tn.us/DeerRegistryPublish/

I bet if each entry had a picture and # of points....it would be more popular. Does a person get any recognition for an entry? Printable certificate, wooden nickel,sticker, etc.
Attachments
6348F13C-27D4-4BBB-88B8-764EF64F7545.jpeg
6348F13C-27D4-4BBB-88B8-764EF64F7545.jpeg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

Advertisement

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby fairchaser » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

I’ve registered one buck and it’s a process. I’m not sure how the process could be made easier though. You must take your buck to a rally and get it scored and if it qualifies it gets entered. Mine didn’t get entered at first and when I inquired it got entered twice.
User avatar
fairchaser
12 Point
 
Posts: 6182
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: TN, USA

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby TheLBLman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 am

I believe you can take your antler's to a TWRA certified scorer as well.

I remain amazed that Sonny Foster's 1959 buck taken in Cumberland County, TN still stands as TN's #1 Typical.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 27816
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby ZachMarkus » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am

TheLBLman wrote:I believe you can take your antler's to a TWRA certified scorer as well.

I remain amazed that Sonny Foster's 1959 buck taken in Cumberland County, TN still stands as TN's #1 Typical.


Same, if I had killed the buck I hunted several years ago it wouldn’t be!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
User avatar
ZachMarkus
10 Point
 
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 am
Location: Middle TN

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 am

I checked for this buck...looks like he lost 13+ inches and was 173.

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/r ... ublic-land
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:53 am

There were roughly 60 bucks entered last year, so what do I know.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

TN Big Bucks

Postby PickettSFHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:57 am

It’s just a pain over a deer to me. The one I registered, I drove like 2 hours to get it scored, not worth it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
PickettSFHunter
16 Point
 
Posts: 19837
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Northern Plateau

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby TheLBLman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Best I can figure, our RELATIVELY long gun season (both ML & rifle)
paired with a relatively high buck limit (again, compared to most states)
has contributed to Tennessee's bucks experiencing a higher level of antler high-grading.

In other words, we kill off a higher percentage of our best up & coming younger bucks,
most often at the age of 2 1/2,
where bucks with the genetic makeup to become B&C bucks
really stand out,
typically looking even larger than their reality (because their skeletal frame is only about 2/3 grown)
and, they walk around all day during the rut.

By contrast, 2 1/2-yr-old bucks with below average antlers are routinely passed up my multiple hunters,
and these genetically inferior antlered young bucks go on to become most of our "older" bucks in TN.
Those way above average seldom live to 3 1/2.

No, I do not want a 1-buck limit.
But would be fine with muzzleloader season opening a week later,
and centerfire rifle season closing a week earlier.
This would make it more feasible to make the 1st juvenile hunt a week later,
and just entirely do away with that 2nd juvenile hunt in January.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 27816
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Just an observation for Montgomery...
3 entries in 2018
1 in 2017 and 2016
0 in 2014 and 2015

There has to be a lot more than that taken, but they are just not entered.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

TN Big Bucks

Postby TX300mag » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 pm

There are a lot of our tndeer members with top entries in the registry.

I think the numbers and quality of bucks in TN continues to increase in most places, no need to reduce hunter opportunity again for the hope of larger antlers.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TX300mag
16 Point
 
Posts: 12466
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Location: Crosby, TX

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

I guess they need to make the process easier! I would think that you just need a scoresheet from a certified Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young scorer.

Perhaps self-scoring with a signed affidavit would work for entries below a score minimum.

This buck is not registered and is supposedly the largest archery kill in the state.

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ord/262238
Attachments
64457AB5-42BF-4941-A49C-847076F24CDD.jpeg
64457AB5-42BF-4941-A49C-847076F24CDD.jpeg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby Andy S. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm

ZachMarkus wrote:
TheLBLman wrote:I believe you can take your antler's to a TWRA certified scorer as well.

I remain amazed that Sonny Foster's 1959 buck taken in Cumberland County, TN still stands as TN's #1 Typical.


Same, if I had killed the buck I hunted several years ago it wouldn’t be!


LBLman - I hear this comment A LOT. I’m one of the ones that isn’t surprised. A 186” CLEAN NET typical buck is a pretty rare specimen, regardless of what State you’re talking about.

Zach - did anyone kill the buck? Disappear? Do you know what he would’ve scored (NET) as a true typical.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
User avatar
Andy S.
16 Point
 
Posts: 18522
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: Atoka, TN

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby TheLBLman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Andy S. wrote: A 186” CLEAN NET typical buck is a pretty rare specimen, regardless of what State you’re talking about.

And I'm not suggesting otherwise.

Just surprised this 186" typical, killed in 1959, remains TN's #1 Typical.
Other bordering states, all directions, have killed larger NET TYPICALS,
and most of them fairly recently.

For example, look at these adjoining state record typicals . . . . .

West Virginia's #1 Buck = 188 7/8" --- Killed in 2014

Virginia's #1 Buck = 189 2/8" --- Killed in 1999

Kentucky's #1 Buck = 204 2/8" --- Killed in 2000

Georgia's #1 Buck = 191 4/8" --- Killed in 1962

Mississippi's #1 Buck = 184 6/8" --- Killed in 2011

Alabama's #1 Buck = 186 3/8" --- Killed in 1986

Arkansas's #1 Buck = 195 2/8" --- Killed in 2015

Of course, Tennessee isn't the only state with it's #1 Typical being killed over four decades ago.
Just interesting that with all the supposed "management", hunters supposedly "managing" for larger trophy racks,
Sonny Foster's 1959 #1 Typical still stands in Tennessee.

And it was killed in a mountainous area with no agricultural crops.

Today, we have vast areas of counties along our Mississippi River floodplain,
as well as those counties either side the Hatchie and Obion Rivers,
with some of the best soils and best food sources, including lots of areas "managed" for big bucks.

We have the genetics, we have the soil, we have the food sources,
we even have more bucks than ever living to maturity (5 1/2 & older).
But it's mainly just the bucks WITHOUT the genetics that we hunters allow to live to maturity.
Not saying this is either good or bad ---- but, imo, just the #1 reason that 1959 record typical still stands.
TheLBLman
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 27816
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:00 pm
Location: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby TX300mag » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:08 pm

BULL MOOSE wrote:I guess they need to make the process easier! I would think that you just need a scoresheet from a certified Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young scorer.

Perhaps self-scoring with a signed affidavit would work for entries below a score minimum.

This buck is not registered and is supposedly the largest archery kill in the state.

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ord/262238


I this is the one that had the deer Snuggie photoshopped into it



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TX300mag
16 Point
 
Posts: 12466
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Location: Crosby, TX

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby DoubleRidge » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Another note pertaining to the Tennessee Deer Registry....the new format you see today hasn't been up very long and there are issues. Some entries are missing, some dates are wrong and parts of it are a bit of a mess.

I have emailed the lady that manages the database and she explained during the data migration from the old system to the new system some data got lost. She explained that they are working to correct any and all errors and was very appologetic.

As for getting a buck officially scored....many area wardens are listed as official B&C scorers and our local GW will meet you to measure your buck if you give him advanced notice.....also you can drive to main office in Nashville if you live near there....again ,call ahead and make appointment.

I find the TN deer registry an interesting record to research but then again.... I'm a bit if a data nerd.

As for awards....they use to give a brass plate with catergory, date and score...to put on your own plauqe....but that ended many many years ago....to encourage participation a certificate suitable for framing would be nice..... similar to what TWRA does for the fishing species awards.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
User avatar
DoubleRidge
6 Point
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:15 pm

TX300mag wrote:
BULL MOOSE wrote:I guess they need to make the process easier! I would think that you just need a scoresheet from a certified Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young scorer.

Perhaps self-scoring with a signed affidavit would work for entries below a score minimum.

This buck is not registered and is supposedly the largest archery kill in the state.

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ord/262238


I this is the one that had the deer Snuggie photoshopped into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Tell more! What’s a Snuggie?
BULL MOOSE
10 Point
 
Posts: 4576
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 1999 12:00 pm
Location: 38468

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby Os2 Outdoors » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:28 pm

I had TWRA score like 15+ archery book bucks once.

NOT a single one was ever entered into the book!!! No idea who's job it is to enter the data but after many calls over a year period I said screw it.

Not worth the hassle!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
User avatar
Os2 Outdoors
8 Point
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby DoubleRidge » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Os2 Outdoors wrote:I had TWRA score like 15+ archery book bucks once.

NOT a single one was ever entered into the book!!! No idea who's job it is to enter the data but after many calls over a year period I said screw it.

Not worth the hassle!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk


Wow...that's terrible....sounds like whoever scored your deer never turned in the paperwork....that's a shame.

I had two bucks scored once at a show in Williamson county and the lady was there literally inputting entries as they were scored.

Buddy of mine had a muzzleloader entry scored last year by local GW....met him at his house and paperwork was filed the following week.

But as mentioned in previous post the registry is a mess currently following the move to the new format.

But stories like yours are certainly disappointing to hear.
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
User avatar
DoubleRidge
6 Point
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby TX300mag » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:24 pm

BULL MOOSE wrote:
TX300mag wrote:
BULL MOOSE wrote:I guess they need to make the process easier! I would think that you just need a scoresheet from a certified Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young scorer.

Perhaps self-scoring with a signed affidavit would work for entries below a score minimum.

This buck is not registered and is supposedly the largest archery kill in the state.

https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ord/262238


I this is the one that had the deer Snuggie photoshopped into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Tell more! What’s a Snuggie?



https://heaterbodysuit.com


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TX300mag
16 Point
 
Posts: 12466
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:00 pm
Location: Crosby, TX

Re: TN Big Bucks

Postby MUP » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 am

:D
Image "Amateurs" built the Ark.

"Professionals" built the Titanic.
User avatar
MUP
Non-Typical
 
Posts: 72230
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 am
Location: Just North of Chatt-town

Next

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: philsanchez76, SKFOOTER, Ski and 31 guests