• Advertisement

Quota Hunt Question

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

Quota Hunt Question

Postby Joe4majors » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

I posted on here a few months ago that I'm hoping to bring my son (age 9) up to TN for the Oct. 26-27 youth weekend this fall for his first out-of-state hunt. I'm tentatively looking at Yanahli, but still brainstorming on that. Anyways, being from Alabama I'm unfamiliar with the the quota hunt stuff. Can y'all give me the cliffs notes version? From what I can tell, it wouldn't affect Yanahli, correct?
Joe4majors
Button

Advertisement

Re: Quota Hunt Question

Postby Shanman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Looks like page 65 in the Hunting Guide, you can download a PDF of the hunting guide online. I didn't see anything about quota hunts on the area, open with statewide season. Better double check though.
Shanman
6 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:27 am

I believe Laurel Hill also has an open juvenile hunt.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby Joe4majors » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks guys. I also see that Cheatham is open for a youth hunt the prior weekend, but sure looks like some tough terrain compared to Yanahli.
Joe4majors
Button

Postby TNCharlie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Have you ever been to Yanahli? If not I would highly suggest that you take a trip to do some serious scouting. It's big in number of acres, but split into many pieces. It's sort of a jigsaw puzzle of private land and the WMA. You have to pay attention to boundaries.

By contrast Laurel Hill is right at 15,000 contiguous acres. It is much more hilly than Yanahli. Do be aware that the Natchez Trace Parkway (a national park/federal land) does pass through the WMA and separates a small portion of the WMA from the body. It's no big deal, but you may NOT park on the Parkway or walk across the Parkway with a loaded gun. But the Parkway boundary is well marked.

Hope you find a place and have good hunting.
TNCharlie
8 Point

Postby Joe4majors » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:57 am

I have a decent amount of experience hunting split up WMAs in Alabama and should be able to figure out boundaries between online maps, boundary markers, etc. I've never been to Yanahli though.

Thanks for the heads up about the Natchez Trace Parkway if we do end up near it.
Joe4majors
Button

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk