• Advertisement

CWD Workshops Scheduled by TWRA ( Who is going to atten)

Serious Deer Hunting Talk Only!

CWD Workshops Scheduled by TWRA ( Who is going to atten)

Postby tndeer12 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:20 pm

Is anyone planning to attend one of the CWD workshops that TWRA is holding in July and August?
Attachments
cwd workshop calender.JPG
cwd workshop calender.JPG (50.43 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
tndeer12
Button

Advertisement

Re: CWD Workshops Scheduled by TWRA ( Who is going to atten)

Postby tndeer12 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 am

Wow, is no one planning on going? 61 people have viewed this post and not 1 response. Do ya'll not feel like CWD is a serious problem and that we need to ban together to at least try to contain it.
tndeer12
Button

Postby BULL MOOSE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:19 am

Well, they did not provide much info. I’m not sure I would call a multi-location Q and A a workshop.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby treefarmer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:44 am

A session sponsored by the West Highland Rim Forestry Association (Dickson/Humphreys/Houston Counties) will be held on Tuesday August 20th at the Tennsco Community Center in Dickson (about a mile behind Lowes). Dr. Daniel Grove, DVM, of UT Extension and he is also TWRA's wildlife veterinarian will discuss CWD and answer questions. Cost is $10 to cover the meal. Contact Ag. Extension in Dickson, Humphreys or Houston Counties if interested. If you are a forestlandowner in those counties you will want to attend to learn about the association, as the Association has many forestry related events such as field days. An Area Forester and Consulting Forester will be there so it is a good opportunity before or after the meeting to talk to them about any forestry questions you may have.
treefarmer
6 Point

Postby DaveB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

I might attend the one in Shelby County. Ag center is about 3 miles.

I wonder if they will serve venison?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
DaveB
16 Point

Postby TNGunsmoke » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:47 pm

I may go to the Madison County one.
You can't fix stupid....
TNGunsmoke
10 Point

Postby mike243 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:41 pm

love to go just way tofar,I figure we will have them around here soon enuff :(
I'm Just a Spike/button Hunter, I will shoot a Trophy if 1 comes by but will settle for what the Lord provides/trophy's are in the eyes of the hunter not their neighbors
mike243
16 Point

Postby Tiny » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Be nice to attend 1 .. and would if closer..
Understand the need for in an around the "Hot Zone" but what about the rest of the state..??

I hope the testing n locations are expanded as best they can..come season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tiny
16 Point

Postby tndeer12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:45 am

I went to the one that was held in McNairy County and there were only about 20 people there. I hope that they get better attendance at the other ones that they are holding. Seems to me that hunters would want to be more informed in what is going on and where the future of deer hunting is headed. We really need to ban together and do what we can to contain CWD as best we can.
tndeer12
Button

Postby fairchaser » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:07 am

I’m debating going but not sure what I could learn that is not on the website and what we know from the previous public meetings. If there was something on the agenda from the latest research on possible cures or strategies to manage a herd with CWD I would be sure to attend.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby tndeer12 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Well, I guess you could say that it is a workshop that is set up to inform the public about CWD and what they know about it thus far. They also review the new regulations that have been set-up for the newly created CWD Unit, which is the early stages of TWRA's plan for managing a CWD herd.
tndeer12
Button

Postby TNGunsmoke » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 pm

There was a pretty decent turnout in Jackson tonight. Just guessing 80-90 people.
You can't fix stupid....
TNGunsmoke
10 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Here is all you need to know! I wish I knew how to manipulate online video....I might just make a video of Chuck Youst or another guy slapping themselves in the face over and over.
Attachments
A5638A40-2534-45A7-8291-39765DF7F5FB.jpeg
A5638A40-2534-45A7-8291-39765DF7F5FB.jpeg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 818 times
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby TNGunsmoke » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:53 am

Pretty much. We were told several years ago we needed to lower the buck limit so we could grow bigger deer, now it's kill more deer(and especially more antlered deer because they wander more) cause we need to nip this(CWD) in the bud. And they say we still aren't killing enough does. I talked to Mr. Yoest last night afterwards and told him that if they were serious about hunters killing more does, there needed to be a certain number of doe tags on the regular Big Game Gun season for them, and not the extra expense of the special season antlerless permit. I buy a Sportsman's license, so it has no impact on me, but I know a lot of people that only buy the Big Game Gun license and they won't buy the permit.

The other standout thing from last night that I had yet to hear was that TWRA has offered a $10,000 reward if someone can provide information that a deer was brought in illegally from a CWD positive area sometime in the past, like 10 years ago or more.
You can't fix stupid....
TNGunsmoke
10 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 am

TNGunsmoke wrote:Pretty much. We were told several years ago we needed to lower the buck limit so we could grow bigger deer, now it's kill more deer(and especially more antlered deer because they wander more) cause we need to nip this(CWD) in the bud. And they say we still aren't killing enough does. I talked to Mr. Yoest last night afterwards and told him that if they were serious about hunters killing more does, there needed to be a certain number of doe tags on the regular Big Game Gun season for them, and not the extra expense of the special season antlerless permit. I buy a Sportsman's license, so it has no impact on me, but I know a lot of people that only buy the Big Game Gun license and they won't buy the permit.

The other standout thing from last night that I had yet to hear was that TWRA has offered a $10,000 reward if someone can provide information that a deer was brought in illegally from a CWD positive area sometime in the past, like 10 years ago or more.

Does that imply they believe cwd has been here more than 10 years? All this sure does make that hairline vs 3 inch debate seem silly now.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby TNGunsmoke » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:07 am

They believe it has been here for quite some time based on the number of cases in the Fayette/Hardeman county area that popped up "all at once", given that there is a 12-18 month period before symptoms begin to appear. It had to start with one deer somewhere, and for that prevalence it has to have been around a while.
You can't fix stupid....
TNGunsmoke
10 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am

I’ll throw in the first $100 to add a second $10000 reward from TNDEER.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby fairchaser » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:15 am

BULL MOOSE wrote:Here is all you need to know! I wish I knew how to manipulate online video....I might just make a video of Chuck Youst or another guy slapping themselves in the face over and over.

What’s funny about this is that you could take the opposite approach just as easily. More deer = more negative deer = a larger negative herd = a stronger herd. It’s obvious the state is not as concerned with the deer herd in the CWD zone as they are outside of the zone. This is their way of quarantining the herd. It’s ok if the patient dies as long as the infection is contained. Contain the disease at any cost.
fairchaser
12 Point

Postby BULL MOOSE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:50 am

fairchaser wrote:
BULL MOOSE wrote:Here is all you need to know! I wish I knew how to manipulate online video....I might just make a video of Chuck Youst or another guy slapping themselves in the face over and over.

What’s funny about this is that you could take the opposite approach just as easily. More deer = more negative deer = a larger negative herd = a stronger herd. It’s obvious the state is not as concerned with the deer herd in the CWD zone as they are outside of the zone. This is their way of quarantining the herd. It’s ok if the patient dies as long as the infection is contained. Contain the disease at any cost.

I would say that is a fair assessment.
BULL MOOSE
10 Point

Postby tndeer12 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:07 am

Well, I went to the shelby county workshop last night. They spent 1-1/2 hours trying to talk everyone into killing more deer so that they could obtain samples. Then I asked if they are testing Crop depredation deer and they said no. So, if samples are so important, why not make use of otherwise wasted deer killing. Sounds like they would rather place the emphasis on hunters killing samples because hunters by licenses, supplies, etc. One other thing is, if increasing the buck harvest is such a big deal, why just add muzzle loaders to the velvet hunt instead of going ahead and allowing rifles like the original plan was explained during the fayette county public meeting. Sounds like a way to increase muzzle loader license sales to me. This whole CWD thing seems to be getting pretty political and at the end of the day the almighty dollar still seems to be what is important.
tndeer12
Button

Next

Return to Serious Deer Hunting Talk