Snake Boots v. Gaiters

String Music

I'm strongly considering going with a high quality hiking boot and snake gaiter. There's no way to avoid wet feet in snake boots.

Does anyone use this setup over snake boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scn

Yes, the snake gaiters are my go to now after having issues with the waterproofing in the last couple of pairs of snake boots I have purchased. I usually wear them over a pair of Lacrosse boots if it is really wet, or a short pair of Danner boots. Once you get the straps adjusted, it is quick and easy to get them on and off.

TheLBLman

String Music":1kl14ajj said:
There's no way to avoid wet feet in snake boots.
Could you elaborate a bit on your thought here please?

Reason I ask is because I'm about ready for a new pair of Irish Setter snake boots.
But my old ones still keep my feet dry walking in mud, water, wet weeds, and across creeks with calf-deep water.

String Music

TheLBLman":3tkqdvjj said:
String Music":3tkqdvjj said:
There's no way to avoid wet feet in snake boots.
Could you elaborate a bit on your thought here please?

Reason I ask is because I'm about ready for a new pair of Irish Setter snake boots.
But my old ones still keep my feet dry walking in mud, water, wet weeds, and across creeks with calf-deep water.

I've yet to find a pair that will keep my feet dry walking through wet grass. The Vaprtreks I have now are by far my favorite but still prone to letting water in. Now they hold up good in mud puddles, but walking through wet grass is another story.

Gravey

I bought a pair of gaiters from Academy a year or two ago with plans to use them over my Danner boots but have only done so once or twice. They're fairly easy to get on but lots of times just wear my danners without them or my mucks. Mucks are starting to rub my ankle when walking a lot so we'll see how that goes. Last pair of snake boots I had were Rocky's and they leaked too. Good luck!

woodsman04

My exact problem with snake boots. It's like hunting in athletic tennis shoes, because of the comfort AND the wet feet.

I had danner jackals-waterproof for a few days then leak like a fish net.

I had Irish setter Vapreteks-waterproof for a few days then leak like a minnow net.

Bass pro/cabelas brands also do the same thing.

I will wear rubber boots in the mornings, keep my snake boots in my truck and change over if I ever get a chance. Daylight with wet grass is the worst time for the snake boots

Setterman

I've been through them all, literally.

Danners are horrible
Rocky even worse
Lacrosse, haha
Chippewa huge joke
Russell expensive and like cheese cloth
Cabelas horrid
Bass pro flip flops are more water proof

My Vapr Treks actually have been the best, I get most of a season before they're done. Which is saying something.

I tried gaiters but didn't like them although I see the value and may go back this route with my Salomon hiking boots that are kick arse and very water proof.

It's a dilemma for sure, where I hunt I see around a dozen venomous snakes each season which means there's probably 3x more I never see.

The thing about regular boots is lack of height which is an issue in tall wet grass and not having my cuffs tucked in invites ticks more so than tucked in

For now I'm sticking the the Irish setters, at least they work for about 30 days of rough wear

TheLBLman

Setterman":2ln5icct said:
The thing about regular boots is lack of height which is an issue in tall wet grass and not having my cuffs tucked in invites ticks more so than tucked in.
That, too, but another thing for me is I often find myself needing to cross a creek where the water is deeper than most good hiking boots. The taller snake boots usually work.

Another thing is briars.
I know the gaiters or chaps will also work well for wading briars,
but if you're comparing tall rubber boots or typical good hikers (without gaiters or chaps),
briars can be more an issue than water or wet feet.

Newt

I haven't had any luck out of snake boots.
The worst: Danner
Okay: Chippewa
The best: lacrosse
Have not tried the vapor trex. but the last couple years have really liked wearing gaiters over my lace up boots. When I get set down or get to hot I just unsnap them and stick them in the game bag of my vest. And prefer a 8 inch boot walking and climbing hills vs the height of the snake boots. Like Setterman said I cross paths with a rattler or two every spring and who knows how many we walk by! My vote is the gatiers

Andy S.

Setterman":3s5oypv4 said:
.....my Salomon hiking boots that are kick arse and very water proof.
Exact boot I bow hunt and turkey hunt in, most of the time. I agree about them being waterproof thus far. If I will be wading shallow water, I wear Lacrosse Grange 18" rubber boot with aftermarket sole.

whitetailz

I got a deal on the Danner snake boots a year or 2 ago. Longest amount of time I've had a pair. I always got em and got rid of em. Just too stiff for me normally but the Danners I got are pretty good.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":2ak1x55i said:
Setterman":2ak1x55i said:
Exact boot I bow hunt and turkey hunt in, most of the time.
I highly respect you two's opinions on hunting clothing & footwear,
so maybe I've been overlooking something here with the Salomon brand.

As we speak, I'm about ready to drop a small fortune on some Kenetrek non-insulated leather hiking boots.
Still not certain as to which version, but at least at present, "sold" on their replacing my worn out Meindl Alaskan Hikers.
The Meindl Alaskans have been great, but after 4 years, and being resoled once, they're about shot.

Have also been considering the Lowa Tibet GTX Hiking boots which are very similar to the old Meindl Alaskan Hikers (that particular Meindl non-insulated version no longer made). I may be way off here, but seems the Kenetrek line is the better choice?

Lastly, I have very wide feet, which has been a problem, not just because I find it difficult to find boots wide enough, but also because I experience worse side-to-side rotation on rough terrain, necessitating a more rigid boot with better ankle support (typically boots designed to use crampons).

Any thoughts anyone is willing to share, I'm all ears.
I'm wanting a quality leather boot, at least 9" tall, NON-insulated, preferably available in 10 1/2 to 11 EEE or wider sizes,
as have often had to get a half-size or size larger boot just to get a good fit on the width.

bjohnson

TheLBLman":mzv9dtqy said:
Andy S.":mzv9dtqy said:
Setterman":mzv9dtqy said:
Exact boot I bow hunt and turkey hunt in, most of the time.
I highly respect you two's opinions on hunting clothing & footwear,
so maybe I've been overlooking something here with the Salomon brand.

As we speak, I'm about ready to drop a small fortune on some Kenetrek non-insulated leather hiking boots.
Still not certain as to which version, but at least at present, "sold" on their replacing my worn out Meindl Alaskan Hikers.
The Meindl Alaskans have been great, but after 4 years, and being resoled once, they're about shot.

Have also been considering the Lowa Tibet GTX Hiking boots which are very similar to the old Meindl Alaskan Hikers (that particular Meindl non-insulated version no longer made). I may be way off here, but seems the Kenetrek line is the better choice?

Lastly, I have very wide feet, which has been a problem, not just because I find it difficult to find boots wide enough, but also because I experience worse side-to-side rotation on rough terrain, necessitating a more rigid boot with better ankle support (typically boots designed to use crampons).

Any thoughts anyone is willing to share, I'm all ears.
I'm wanting a quality leather boot, at least 9" tall, NON-insulated, preferably available in 10 1/2 to 11 EEE or wider sizes,
as have often had to get a half-size or size larger boot just to get a good fit on the width.

After going through Danners, Rockys, and Lacrosse I ended up getting a pair of Crispi Nevada GTX. I've got about 20 miles on them so far squirrel hunting and post season scouting These are by far the best pair of boots I've ever owned. I also have wide feet and prefer a stiffer boot. These are perfect.

TheLBLman

bjohnson":2901vvut said:
Crispi Nevada GTX.
Those look like a great boot!

Wish they had that particular one in non-insulated and 1" taller (just better for most my purposes).
Not many standard offerings in a 9" non-insulated boot similar to this, regardless of brand.
Most are either 8" or 10" and with at least 200 grams thinsulate.

Andy S.

TheLBLman - I hunt out of the Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX hiking boots and have been impressed with them thus far, but have only owned them for a year (little too soon to give a real review). I did treat them with Kenetrek boot wax before wearing them, and they have remained waterproof unless overtopped, which I have managed not to do thus far. They are lightweight, nimble and waterproof, my main "wants", but they are only 6" tall, and they are not viable for wide feet (EE width). They cost $240 regularly, but can be had for $175 if one buys them when on sale.

Your choice of Kenetrek is perfect for your needs, and a superior boot to my Salomons, at a superior price point as well. A couple of my buddies that live in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) rave about Kenetrek and claim that is what a lot of the hunters wear while exploring/hiking/hunting/guiding in the mountains. The 3 name brands they mentioned were Kenetrek, Lowa, and Schnee. From their opinions, and the online reviews I have read, you will not be disappointed with your choice.

Andy S.

TheLBLman":12gqbj1x said:
bjohnson":12gqbj1x said:
Crispi Nevada GTX.
Those look like a great boot!
Yes they do.

TheLBLman":12gqbj1x said:
Wish they had that particular one in non-insulated.....
Me too, never had a need for insulation when hiking or moving, thus generating my own heat. At 1.9 lbs per foot with insulation (8" boot), I bet they get it down to 1.7 lbs or less without.

TheLBLman

Thanks for your thoughts, Andy!

Andy S.":1ipdcbi0 said:
. . . . . never had a need for insulation when hiking or moving, thus generating my own heat.
Exactly, at least more of the time.
Our activities are not limited to the coldest days of winter.

And when it's really cold and we're not moving much,
200 grams of thinsulate isn't going to cut it either.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":2tj3tdzp said:
TheLBLman - you're in luck, they do offer it in an non-insulated version.

https://www.crispius.com/nevada-non-insulated-gtx

[youtube]btoAv3HaiWA[/youtube]
Thanks again, Andy!
Do like the looks of those, and they're remarkably similar to the non-insulated Alaskan Guide Mendl's they would be replacing.
Looks like I'm either going with an 8" or a 10" boot, as none of them are offering 9" now.

Latest posts