• Advertisement

Fogged glasses are a pain

Turkey Hunting Talk

Fogged glasses are a pain

Postby fairchaser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm

What do you glasses wearers do about fogged up glasses? I’ve tried cat crap and nothing works. It happens at the worst possible time.
fairchaser
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: Fogged glasses are a pain

Postby MickThompson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 pm

fairchaser wrote:What do you glasses wearers do about fogged up glasses? I’ve tried cat crap and nothing works. It happens at the worst possible time.

I put the mask under my nose and breathe through my nose. Mouth breathing fogs me up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickThompson
8 Point

Postby poorhunter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 pm

I’m with ya fairchaser. Happens all to often both bowhunting deer and turkey hunting. I TRY to keep mask down enough when game isn’t near and snug it up when they are. I’ll turn my head just right to have the wind (if any) blow across my face to take away my breath. It’s just a struggle I have to put up with.
poorhunter
8 Point

Postby Andy S. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:11 pm

David - I do not wear glasses, so possibly describe what the issue is in more detail. If it could be solved by simply cutting holes in a mask for mouth and nose to breath away from your glasses, that would be my recommendation. A little skin showing is not a deal breaker as long as you remain still, and it becomes less of an issue later in season as foliage increases allowing hunters to hide better.
Last edited by Andy S. on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby Andy S. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Read this thread David, it has a suggestion that may be worth a shot.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... er=2073435
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby fairchaser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Andy S. wrote:David - I do not wear glasses, so possibly describe what the issue is in more detail. If it could be solved by simply cutting holes in a mask for mouth and nose to breath away from your glasses, that would be my recommendation. A little skin showing is not a deal breaker as long as you remain still, and it becomes less of an issue later in season as foliage increases allowing hunters to hide better.

I’ve looked at it in a mirror to try to figure out what happens. If you have the mask over your nose, then as you breathe, your exhale hits under the mask but a portion comes up between your nose and the gap just under your inner eye. This instantly fogs your glasses. The soap or cat crap you rub on your glasses helps the fog to disappear more quickly but each breath it returns creating a recurring problem. Even if you pull the mask under your nose, you still get some blow back on your glasses. The only solution is face paint that I can see. It’s almost worse than the fog. I usually just fight it constantly rubbing my glasses until I calm down enough that it doesn’t fog up. Cutting holes might help but my mask is very light mesh so it might not work but willing to try anything.
fairchaser
10 Point

Postby Gravey » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Take Dawn or any liquid dish soap and put a small drop on both sides of the lens. Rub around with your fingers then wipe off with a cloth. I used to do this on my son’s rec specs when he was playing ball. Normally had to do it once a week but they will not fog up.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Gravey
Non-Typical

Postby Mr. Hawk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:29 pm

I bought some spray at walmart optical called cat crap and it seems to work well.
Mr. Hawk
6 Point

Postby woodsman04 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Contacts, if you can wear them. Face paint will work too.
I don’t know, before I got contacts I had to deal with those issues too. Just get a mask and cut some holes and play with it enough until you figure it out.

So glad I’m able to use contacts though.

woodsman04
4 Point

Postby Ladys man » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:47 am

woodsman04 wrote:Contacts, if you can wear them. Face paint will work too.
I don’t know, before I got contacts I had to deal with those issues too. Just get a mask and cut some holes and play with it enough until you figure it out.

So glad I’m able to use contacts though.

X2
Ladys man
10 Point

Postby poorhunter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 am

Also, I use the 3/4 mask with a wire rimmed eye cutout.
poorhunter
8 Point

Postby PalsPal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:55 am

I used to have issues but not so much any more. I guess I adapted. I sweat easily so unless it's real cold I'm usually just wearing a shirt on the walk in. I'll take a vest or light jacket to put on later if needed.

If I do get warm after setting up I'll set my glasses aside and take a brown hand towel that I have in my pouch and wipe off any sweat and will even fold it in half and use it to fan my face until I cool down. This helps a lot.

It is definitely frustrating when you're wanting to start the game but can't because you can't see.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
PalsPal
12 Point

Postby PalsPal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:09 am

Also as mentioned turning head if a slight breeze helps a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
PalsPal
12 Point

Postby TheAirMan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:12 am

I have wore contacts for a long time. Best I can remember I just did like a few have already suggested and wore my mask down below my nose.

TheAirMan
16 Point

Postby REN » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am

back when i swam competitively we used dawn like gravey said above and some other solution I will look and see what the name of it was. Seemed to work pretty well back then. If you are breathing on them directly on a cold morning there is not much you can do, they are going to fog no matter what but some of the tips stated in here will allow them to quickly defog
REN
14 Point

Postby muddyboots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

I had lasix. Cured that problem. Seriously though rub them with alcohol pads throughout the day
muddyboots
16 Point

Postby fairchaser » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks for the tips. I can’t wear contacts anymore as I’ve had RK surgery 20 years ago and my corneas are too flat now. These are some things they don’t tell you when you have eye surgery to correct nearsightedness. I’m farsighted now and can’t do anything but wear glasses and lucky to see as well as I do. I think if anyone comes up with a full proof method of dealing with this problem will make a fortune cause there has to be millions of glasses wearers out there.
fairchaser
10 Point

Return to Long Beards & Spurs