In the market for a turkey gun

catman529

Without going into details on why, I'm looking for a good turkey gun in 12 gauge, pump action, under $400, nothing too fancy. Choke and optics are a plus but not necessary. Tapped for scope mounts would be preferred. I should probably post this in classifieds, but I know all the turkey guys are in here right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529

ZachMarkus":2xbp4n7r said:
Remington 870

Mossberg 535 or 835

Winchester SXP

Benelli Nova

I liked the SXP but it's not tapped, I'd have to take it to a gunsmith

ImThere

Go look at some and pick one. Shouldn't be hard at $400

I like the tried and true 835 mossberg, 870 Remington. Those 2 in my mind have the most upgradable platforms and great deals can be found. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

ImThere":23q5eq5v said:
Go look at some and pick one. Shouldn't be hard at $400

I like the tried and true 835 mossberg, 870 Remington. Those 2 in my mind have the most upgradable platforms and great deals can be found. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went to 3 stores and didn't find one I liked. Almost bought an 835 Ultimag from Walmart till they realized the rear sight was broken. They wouldn't give me a discount, said they'd send it back and get reimbursed.

muddyboots

I got one Catman. It's a proven killer. I have an eotech in it. I couldn't sell the package for 400 but I'd do just the gun for that if your interested. 870 super mag SPS-T. I added the shur shot stock and forearm. It is the first year they made the super mag in the turkey special purpose. I could leave the b square mount on it if you wanted it- I don't need it. If your interested I could get you some pics. It's in the classifieds as a package.

Andy S.

If you can arrange it, buy muddyboots 870 SP with 23" bbl. A super well built gun that will serve you well for the rest of your career if you like. I have the twin to it, and it's a great all around 12G turkey gun.

deerfever

Catman , I have an 835 that is black and is a proven killer. I went to a 20 gauge and it has been in the closet for 5 or 6 years. I will look when I get home I think it is drilled and tapped. I also have a cantilever slug barrel for it. I have killed turkey and deer with the gun. I have the old star dot choke tube and an undertaker with it. I will make you a great deal. That gun is hard on the gobblers!

SEC

For less than 400.00 an 870 should be at the top of the list. I've owned em all at home one point or another including the 835. I would try to find an older 870 super mag and with decent care you'll still be shooting it in 30 years.

Andy S.

SEC":2439jiak said:
For less than 400.00 an 870 should be at the top of the list. I've owned em all at home one point or another including the 835. I would try to find an older 870 super mag and with decent care you'll still be shooting it in 30 years.
Totally agree. The one muddyboots is selling is a 2000 model 870 Special Purpose (tighter tolerances, etc). You could not make me entertain any other pump shotgun for $400 if it were an option.

catman529

TN Larry":1cd8aby9 said:
I would buy the 870 from muddyboots and put a fast fire 3 on it. The 23" barrel and shur shot stock would be nice.
I did not like my fast fire in the rain this morning. Thinking of selling it

I am definitely considering an 870, an older one

Devin2009

I had a Mossberg 535 that was taped for a scope. It was a real good shooter, I traded it and another one for my sx3 is the only reason I got rid of it. I think I had around $400 in all scope included, I bought it at Bass Pro.

Latest posts