First Wingbone

String Music

I've always wanted to make one and just never got around to it. So, I kept the wing off the last gobbler, watched a YouTube video and put this little guy together. I feel pretty good about it and will definitely hunt with it next year. Overall, it was a neat little project and I can't believe it took me this long.

I've never used one before so feel free to give me any tips!

43e93ace8e465585166a118c071a9a8f.jpg

https://youtu.be/J28Ndp20oak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cowhunter71

Sounds real good. Get you a lip stop. O ring, faucet washer, #2 rubber stopper. It will give you consistent lip placement and seal ;) Get off 30 or 40 yards in the woods away from your phone, and then see how good it sounds. Pure turkey.

String Music

cowhunter71":2fv9137t said:
Sounds real good. Get you a lip stop. O ring, faucet washer, #2 rubber stopper. It will give you consistent lip placement and seal ;) Get off 30 or 40 yards in the woods away from your phone, and then see how good it sounds. Pure turkey.

You da man. I'll see if I can't find me one

cowhunter71

Go to Lowe's/Home Depot. Hardware isle. The specialty drawers will have rubber stoppers. They make the best lip stops in my opinion. Drill hole through it and cut it down some or sand it

String Music

cowhunter71":3gyxu5vp said:
Go to Lowe's/Home Depot. Hardware isle. The specialty drawers will have rubber stoppers. They make the best lip stops in my opinion. Drill hole through it and cut it down some or sand it

Nice! I'll definitely be doing that soon

Tennessee Lead

Heck yeah! Looks good to me.
I've made one and have 16 bones in the freezer to play around with when I get some free time.

String Music

Tennessee Lead":13753cev said:
I've made one and have 16 bones in the freezer to play around with when I get some free time.

Thanks! I didn't realize how much volume these little things produce.

Andy S.

It's been several years since I toted a wing bone, but my advice is to find a dead hen on the side of the road (usually late season when nesting) and make a hen wing bone call out of her wing. If that is not possible, at the least, try to source a jake wing bone and make one. In my opinion, the gobbler wing bones are more course sounding and do not sound as "sweet" as a true hen wing bone, and the hen wing bone requires less air to run.

String Music

Andy S.":1db8qho0 said:
It's been several years since I toted a wing bone, but my advice is to find a dead hen on the side of the road (usually late season when nesting) and make a hen wing bone call out of her wing. If that is not possible, at the least, try to source a jake wing bone and make one. In my opinion, the gobbler wing bones are more course sounding and do not sound as "sweet" as a true hen wing bone, and the hen wing bone requires less air to run.

I may give that a try. I could always kill a hen during the fall season... :stir:

catman529

Tennessee Lead":2lqyd3jc said:

x2 I also have a bunch of bones in the freezer and a few dried ones too. Just haven't got around to making the calls yet. I know a couple members here wanted one and I offered but haven't made any more yet.

I never used a lip stop but I can see how it would help.

catman529

String Music":2mkkkks8 said:
Andy S.":2mkkkks8 said:

I may give that a try. I could always kill a hen during the fall season... :stir:
I have made a couple hen bone calls and my problem is they are too high pitched unless you can cut them long enough and still fit together. I love the sound of a gobbler wingbone myself. You can make them too low pitched if you cut gobbler bones too long, but that's part of the learning, and also depends on the individual bird. It's easier to make a hen-pitched call with a gobbler wing than with a hen wing, in my experience. And with practice you can make the same call soft and sweet or loud and raspy.

Latest posts