• Advertisement

First Wingbone

Turkey Hunting Talk

First Wingbone

Postby String Music » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:20 pm

I've always wanted to make one and just never got around to it. So, I kept the wing off the last gobbler, watched a YouTube video and put this little guy together. I feel pretty good about it and will definitely hunt with it next year. Overall, it was a neat little project and I can't believe it took me this long.

I've never used one before so feel free to give me any tips!

https://youtu.be/J28Ndp20oak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
String Music
10 Point

Advertisement

Re: First Wingbone

Postby cowhunter71 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Sounds real good. Get you a lip stop. O ring, faucet washer, #2 rubber stopper. It will give you consistent lip placement and seal ;) Get off 30 or 40 yards in the woods away from your phone, and then see how good it sounds. Pure turkey.
cowhunter71
4 Point

Postby String Music » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:42 pm

cowhunter71 wrote:Sounds real good. Get you a lip stop. O ring, faucet washer, #2 rubber stopper. It will give you consistent lip placement and seal ;) Get off 30 or 40 yards in the woods away from your phone, and then see how good it sounds. Pure turkey.

You da man. I'll see if I can't find me one

String Music
10 Point

Postby cowhunter71 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Go to Lowe's/Home Depot. Hardware isle. The specialty drawers will have rubber stoppers. They make the best lip stops in my opinion. Drill hole through it and cut it down some or sand it
cowhunter71
4 Point

Postby String Music » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 pm

cowhunter71 wrote:Go to Lowe's/Home Depot. Hardware isle. The specialty drawers will have rubber stoppers. They make the best lip stops in my opinion. Drill hole through it and cut it down some or sand it

Nice! I'll definitely be doing that soon

String Music
10 Point

Postby Tennessee Lead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Heck yeah! Looks good to me.
I've made one and have 16 bones in the freezer to play around with when I get some free time.

Tennessee Lead
12 Point

Postby Tennessee Lead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:29 pm

Cowhunter that's some handy information!
I'm going to take your advice. Mine doesn't have a stop and it needs it.

Tennessee Lead
12 Point

Postby Tennessee Lead » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm

They make a handy Striker to if needed.

Tennessee Lead
12 Point

Postby String Music » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 am

Tennessee Lead wrote:Heck yeah! Looks good to me.
I've made one and have 16 bones in the freezer to play around with when I get some free time.

Thanks! I didn't realize how much volume these little things produce.

String Music
10 Point

Postby Andy S. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:30 am

It's been several years since I toted a wing bone, but my advice is to find a dead hen on the side of the road (usually late season when nesting) and make a hen wing bone call out of her wing. If that is not possible, at the least, try to source a jake wing bone and make one. In my opinion, the gobbler wing bones are more course sounding and do not sound as "sweet" as a true hen wing bone, and the hen wing bone requires less air to run.
Andy S.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.
Andy S.
16 Point

Postby String Music » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:36 am

Andy S. wrote:It's been several years since I toted a wing bone, but my advice is to find a dead hen on the side of the road (usually late season when nesting) and make a hen wing bone call out of her wing. If that is not possible, at the least, try to source a jake wing bone and make one. In my opinion, the gobbler wing bones are more course sounding and do not sound as "sweet" as a true hen wing bone, and the hen wing bone requires less air to run.

I may give that a try. I could always kill a hen during the fall season... :stir:
String Music
10 Point

Postby String Music » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Found a stopper

String Music
10 Point

Postby catman529 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Tennessee Lead wrote:Heck yeah! Looks good to me.

x2 I also have a bunch of bones in the freezer and a few dried ones too. Just haven't got around to making the calls yet. I know a couple members here wanted one and I offered but haven't made any more yet.

I never used a lip stop but I can see how it would help.
catman529
18 Point

Postby catman529 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 pm

String Music wrote:
Andy S. wrote:It's been several years since I toted a wing bone, but my advice is to find a dead hen on the side of the road (usually late season when nesting) and make a hen wing bone call out of her wing. If that is not possible, at the least, try to source a jake wing bone and make one. In my opinion, the gobbler wing bones are more course sounding and do not sound as "sweet" as a true hen wing bone, and the hen wing bone requires less air to run.

I may give that a try. I could always kill a hen during the fall season... :stir:

I have made a couple hen bone calls and my problem is they are too high pitched unless you can cut them long enough and still fit together. I love the sound of a gobbler wingbone myself. You can make them too low pitched if you cut gobbler bones too long, but that's part of the learning, and also depends on the individual bird. It's easier to make a hen-pitched call with a gobbler wing than with a hen wing, in my experience. And with practice you can make the same call soft and sweet or loud and raspy.
catman529
18 Point

Return to Long Beards & Spurs