• Advertisement

Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gauge

Turkey Hunting Talk

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:Btw, I've got a Tristar G2 410 and an Escort 20 gauge auto and really like them both. I've shot Beretta and Benelli since 1998 with 2 SX3's thrown in the mix. Now I have 4 shotguns that are all made in Turkey


Handled the Tristar 410 at Binks lodge with pistol grip in Bottomland.. I really like it. I am not ready for .410, 20 at the least.. Baby steps..

If they had the 20 guage model I might have left with it...
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Advertisement

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Uncle Jesse » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Bgoodman30 wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote:Ah, I didn't read everything. I thought I wanted a 20 gauge Retay until I picked up a 12 gauge Retay at Franklin gun. I'm out


What do you mean?


I mean I didn't like the Retay that I shouldered so now I don't want a 20 gauge Retay

It was the sharp edges on the forearm that I didn't like. Same reason I don't like Vincis
Uncle Jesse
6 Point
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 am
Location: Estill Springs

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Bgoodman30 wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote:Ah, I didn't read everything. I thought I wanted a 20 gauge Retay until I picked up a 12 gauge Retay at Franklin gun. I'm out


What do you mean?


I mean I didn't like the Retay that I shouldered so now I don't want a 20 gauge Retay

It was the sharp edges on the forearm that I didn't like. Same reason I don't like Vincis


I could see that. I actually bought one of the the original Vinci’s. I did love that gun it was sweet... I got rid of due to the safety. I never got used to it.

Maybe why I’m drawn to this gun...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby timberghost3591 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:46 am

I have a M2 20 and the Franchi I built just for turkeys. Vortex Venom with custom rail from Sumtoy Customs, Carlson choke, and shooting Boss TSS. It was money all the way to 60... I mean killing patterns at 60. I wouldn’t shoot a turkey with it at 60, but it would kill it. I like the Franchi for turkeys and have the M2 set up for ducks. I also had the Franchi custom dipped in original bottomland cause the factory camo sucks on the Franchi.
timberghost3591
Spike
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:56 am

timberghost3591 wrote:I have a M2 20 and the Franchi I built just for turkeys. Vortex Venom with custom rail from Sumtoy Customs, Carlson choke, and shooting Boss TSS. It was money all the way to 60... I mean killing patterns at 60. I wouldn’t shoot a turkey with it at 60, but it would kill it. I like the Franchi for turkeys and have the M2 set up for ducks. I also had the Franchi custom dipped in original bottomland cause the factory camo sucks on the Franchi.


Yeah I have the M2 for ducks as well. Therefore I am spoiled and the Franchi just feels like I am settling...

Currently have a bid on an M2 on GB. Also my name on a Retay I guess it’s between those 2?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Simpleman.2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 pm

FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol
User avatar
Simpleman.2
8 Point
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 am

12 or 20 gauge?
Uncle Jesse
6 Point
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 am
Location: Estill Springs

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Simpleman.2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:12 or 20 gauge?


12....I’ve been wanting a 20 but I don’t want to have to wait for the Retay 20s to come out l.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Simpleman.2
8 Point
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm

I thought maybe one had come out early
Uncle Jesse
6 Point
 
Posts: 606
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:34 am
Location: Estill Springs

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Simpleman.2 wrote:FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol


Nice! This is why I made this post! I was about to pull the trigger on another one for about $100 dollars more and a 2 hour drive! I forgot to check this place but they are cheaper than my usual go to Whittaker’s!

Wish my local dealer could get it and price match!

Still might wait on that 20 though. Now I remember why I buy my guns in KY. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Simpleman.2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm

Bgoodman30 wrote:
Simpleman.2 wrote:FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol


Nice! This is why I made this post! I was about to pull the trigger on another one for about $100 dollars more and a 2 hour drive! I forgot to check this place but they are cheaper than my usual go to Whittaker’s!

Wish my local dealer could get it and price match!

Still might wait on that 20 though. Now I remember why I buy my guns in KY. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



You’re welcome! I asked sportsmens how soon they could order me one and they really couldn’t get me an answer. Luckily I found this one online for a good deal. I was wanting to hold out for the 20 too, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Simpleman.2
8 Point
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby bloodtrailing » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:22 pm

slickwillie wrote:Geez guys for the cost of M2, custom cerakote, aftermarket turkey choke, etc. a guy could probably go on a mission trip. :bash: :stir:


I see what you did there. Well played.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodtrailing
6 Point
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:35 pm
Location: TN

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Simpleman.2 wrote:
Bgoodman30 wrote:
Simpleman.2 wrote:FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol


Nice! This is why I made this post! I was about to pull the trigger on another one for about $100 dollars more and a 2 hour drive! I forgot to check this place but they are cheaper than my usual go to Whittaker’s!

Wish my local dealer could get it and price match!

Still might wait on that 20 though. Now I remember why I buy my guns in KY. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



You’re welcome! I asked sportsmens how soon they could order me one and they really couldn’t get me an answer. Luckily I found this one online for a good deal. I was wanting to hold out for the 20 too, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What’s the shipping looking like? Would need before Saturday obviously!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby cm1021 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 am

If you want a gun that hits above its class look at tristar. I picked up a viper youth in 20 gauge last year for my son. Set it up with a rail and red dot. I used it more than he did! Lol I actually picked up another for myself and set it up exactly the same. I believe I paid $350, put a mossberg rail kn it for $20, carlson longbeard XR choke on sale for $30, and a nikon spur for $100. Patterns are amazing all the way out to 50 yards. With TSS and the right choke combo I'm sure it will touch 60!

They only come in black but for the money I am gonna have it dipped and cerakoted. I'll still come below a franchi and have an awesome turkey gun that is lightweight, very maneuverable, and exactly how I want it.
cm1021
4 Point
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:11 am
Location: East, TN

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Simpleman.2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:05 am

Bgoodman30 wrote:
Simpleman.2 wrote:
Bgoodman30 wrote:[quote="Simpleman.2"]FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol


Nice! This is why I made this post! I was about to pull the trigger on another one for about $100 dollars more and a 2 hour drive! I forgot to check this place but they are cheaper than my usual go to Whittaker’s!

Wish my local dealer could get it and price match!

Still might wait on that 20 though. Now I remember why I buy my guns in KY. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



You’re welcome! I asked sportsmens how soon they could order me one and they really couldn’t get me an answer. Luckily I found this one online for a good deal. I was wanting to hold out for the 20 too, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What’s the shipping looking like? Would need before Saturday obviously!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/quote]

It qualified for free shipping! They did tell me because of the virus shipping times were fluctuating, but I’m hopeful it will be here before Saturday. If not I’ll use my 870 and rig the Retay out next week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Simpleman.2
8 Point
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Simpleman.2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:17 am

cm1021 wrote:If you want a gun that hits above its class look at tristar. I picked up a viper youth in 20 gauge last year for my son. Set it up with a rail and red dot. I used it more than he did! Lol I actually picked up another for myself and set it up exactly the same. I believe I paid $350, put a mossberg rail kn it for $20, carlson longbeard XR choke on sale for $30, and a nikon spur for $100. Patterns are amazing all the way out to 50 yards. With TSS and the right choke combo I'm sure it will touch 60!

They only come in black but for the money I am gonna have it dipped and cerakoted. I'll still come below a franchi and have an awesome turkey gun that is lightweight, very maneuverable, and exactly how I want it.


I looked at the Tristar viper g2 bottomland Camo with the pistol grip. I never could find one fir sale anywhere in the 20 I was wanting. From all the videos I watched they look like great guns.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Simpleman.2
8 Point
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Simpleman.2 wrote:
Bgoodman30 wrote:
Simpleman.2 wrote:[quote="Bgoodman30"][quote="Simpleman.2"]FYI I just picked up a Retay Gordion turkey edition w/ bottomland Camo off of Kentucky gun co for $772. Has the 24” barrel and shoots 2 3/4 to 3in which is what I was looking for. They have a 26” barrel version for cheaper at $755. I really like what I’ve heard and read about retay. I stopped in at my local sportsman warehouse and the sales clerk talked very highly of them and said he was selling his super black eagle to get one....I’ll post an update on mine once I get it in...hopefully it’s here before Saturday so I can get it sighted in ....on a side note anyone recommend a turkey choke for retay shotguns? Lol


Nice! This is why I made this post! I was about to pull the trigger on another one for about $100 dollars more and a 2 hour drive! I forgot to check this place but they are cheaper than my usual go to Whittaker’s!

Wish my local dealer could get it and price match!

Still might wait on that 20 though. Now I remember why I buy my guns in KY. Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro



You’re welcome! I asked sportsmens how soon they could order me one and they really couldn’t get me an answer. Luckily I found this one online for a good deal. I was wanting to hold out for the 20 too, but I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What’s the shipping looking like? Would need before Saturday obviously!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/quote]

It qualified for free shipping! They did tell me because of the virus shipping times were fluctuating, but I’m hopeful it will be here before Saturday. If not I’ll use my 870 and rig the Retay out next week.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I’m with you! I’m calling them first thing in the AM!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:13 pm

Simpleman.2 wrote:
cm1021 wrote:If you want a gun that hits above its class look at tristar. I picked up a viper youth in 20 gauge last year for my son. Set it up with a rail and red dot. I used it more than he did! Lol I actually picked up another for myself and set it up exactly the same. I believe I paid $350, put a mossberg rail kn it for $20, carlson longbeard XR choke on sale for $30, and a nikon spur for $100. Patterns are amazing all the way out to 50 yards. With TSS and the right choke combo I'm sure it will touch 60!

They only come in black but for the money I am gonna have it dipped and cerakoted. I'll still come below a franchi and have an awesome turkey gun that is lightweight, very maneuverable, and exactly how I want it.


I looked at the Tristar viper g2 bottomland Camo with the pistol grip. I never could find one fir sale anywhere in the 20 I was wanting. From all the videos I watched they look like great guns.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yes I very much like that gun when I looked at the 410 at Binks lodge. They could of ordered me one but wasn’t convinced that was the route I wanted to go?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Re: Help me decide! Retay vs Benelli vs Franchi 20 or 12 gau

Postby Bgoodman30 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:34 am

Does anyone know if Outdoor Junction in Cookeville will price match? I am going to be out in Sparta today?
Bgoodman30
6 Point
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Previous

Return to Long Beards & Spurs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bgoodman30, chrmayo, doubledownranch, TAG1 and 44 guests