• Advertisement

Article on Turkey population decline

Turkey Hunting Talk

Re: Article on Turkey population decline

Postby Gobbler88 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:38 pm

bowhunterfanatic wrote:
volsrock wrote:
muddyboots wrote:Fixing the turkey decline is simple. No hen killing period. Go to 1 gobbler a few years to get numbers back then go to 2 and leave it alone. It’s that simple.[/quote
you can forget convincing the rest of the state muddy. unless u live or hunt in southern hardin wayne or lawernce county u have no idea how bad it has become!!!!! north parts of these counties still have birds. South is a joke compared to a few years ago!!!! i still say its chicken manure!!!!

It may very well be chicken manure, but the main piece of ground I hunt is a 1000+ acre farm comprised of mostly ag fields and the farmers have been using chicken manure for a good many years now. We still have about the same number of birds as we normally do. Now that could all change next year and then I might be jumping on the same train with you, but it hasn't had an effect on that piece of ground yet. YMMV

Chicken manure won't affect them if it has gone through a heat and the bacteria in it is killed out. At least that is how it was explained to me.
Gobbler88
4 Point

Advertisement

Postby volsrock » Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 pm

you can forget convincing the rest of the state muddy. unless u live or hunt in southern hardin wayne or lawernce county u have no idea how bad it has become!!!!! north parts of these counties still have birds. South is a joke compared to a few years ago!!!! i still say its chicken manure!!!![/quote][/quote]

It may very well be chicken manure, but the main piece of ground I hunt is a 1000+ acre farm comprised of mostly ag fields and the farmers have been using chicken manure for a good many years now. We still have about the same number of birds as we normally do. Now that could all change next year and then I might be jumping on the same train with you, but it hasn't had an effect on that piece of ground yet. YMMV[/quote]
Chicken manure won't affect them if it has gone through a heat and the bacteria in it is killed out. At least that is how it was explained to me.[/quote]
You obviously know nothing about the business. I have a uncle and several friends who operate and chicken house business. People are on a waiting list to get the manure When a house is cleaded out it goes straight to the field!!! They are not gonna store it to go throu heat. Why would they when its sold as soon as it comes outta the chicken!!!!!
volsrock
Spike

Postby volsrock » Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm

That is what TWRA wants u to believe thou. Alot of $$$$$ in the Chicken house business.
volsrock
Spike

Postby Gobbler88 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 pm

volsrock wrote:you can forget convincing the rest of the state muddy. unless u live or hunt in southern hardin wayne or lawernce county u have no idea how bad it has become!!!!! north parts of these counties still have birds. South is a joke compared to a few years ago!!!! i still say its chicken manure!!!!
[/quote]

It may very well be chicken manure, but the main piece of ground I hunt is a 1000+ acre farm comprised of mostly ag fields and the farmers have been using chicken manure for a good many years now. We still have about the same number of birds as we normally do. Now that could all change next year and then I might be jumping on the same train with you, but it hasn't had an effect on that piece of ground yet. YMMV[/quote]
Chicken manure won't affect them if it has gone through a heat and the bacteria in it is killed out. At least that is how it was explained to me.[/quote]
You obviously know nothing about the business. I have a uncle and several friends who operate and chicken house business. People are on a waiting list to get the manure When a house is cleaded out it goes straight to the field!!! They are not gonna store it to go throu heat. Why would they when its sold as soon as it comes outta the chicken!!!!![/quote]
You obviously didn't read my previous comment. I agree that it is chicken manure killing the turkeys. I also have cousins and friends that are chicken farmers that have even told me that IF it goes through a heat the bacteria is killed out. I didn't say the farmers DID let it go through a heat. I get your point, there's too much money involved for them to care what happens to the turkeys.
Gobbler88
4 Point

Postby volsrock » Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

i would love for anybody to give a valid argument as to why the turkey population has gone almost non existent in SOUTHERN wayne,giles and harden counties!!!!!ANYBODY
volsrock
Spike

Postby woodsman04 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Chicken houses are all over the southeastern United States and have been for a very long time. I don’t believe it’s the chicken houses. Maybe somewhat new in Giles, Lawrence, and Wayne but it’s been pretty poplar since the late 90s around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodsman04
4 Point

Postby elknturkey » Sat May 25, 2019 7:00 am

woodsman04 wrote:Chicken houses are all over the southeastern United States and have been for a very long time. I don’t believe it’s the chicken houses. Maybe somewhat new in Giles, Lawrence, and Wayne but it’s been pretty poplar since the late 90s around here.

Heck one of the densest population of birds here live right next to a chicken house and it's one of the largest in the nation. They live in a small block of woods next door that's surrounded by cornfields. Nothin to go by there mid March and see 15 strutters in one bunch. I'm not sold on the chicken theory and it doesn't explain the drop off for mountain or public where there is zero chicken manure
elknturkey
6 Point

Postby AT Hiker » Sat May 25, 2019 7:30 am

I hunt next to a organic Amish dairy farm in KY. They use everything legal to fertilize their fields, including “chicken by-products”. That’s a very lose term too, meaning sometimes it’s litter, sometimes dead and decomposed chickens and sometimes the chickens are still flopping around while being spread. It’s been going on for a very long time and to my knowledge the turkey population has stayed about the same.

AT Hiker
14 Point

Postby Gobbler88 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

It's kind of puzzling to me though that Maury county has turkeys everywhere and you drive 30 minutes south and there are hardly any. I was told by a fella that lives in Maury county that chicken houses aren't allowed up there, but I don't know if it's true. Chicken manure may not be the sole cause of it, but it has something to do with it. At least that's what I believe. There were some birds killed about 4 years ago next to where I used to turkey hunt and they tested positive for blackhead disease, which is transmitted by chickens. Turkeys have disappeared way too fast in my neck of the woods to be solely caused by predators, like many people think. Predators do play a role in it, but I just don't believe that is the main cause of it. Just my opinion though.
Gobbler88
4 Point

Previous

Return to Long Beards & Spurs