• Advertisement

Suggestions for bow for 12 year old?

TN Bowhunter Talk

Suggestions for bow for 12 year old?

Postby KatManDew » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm

My daughter has killed several deer over the years during juvi hunt and wants to start bow hunting. What’s the recommended pull poundage for kids this age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KatManDew
Spike

Advertisement

Re: Suggestions for bow for 12 year old?

Postby Stretcher_Jockey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Best bet I think would be to find a dedicated archery shop in your area and just go chat with them. I’m by no means an expert but I would think it’s gonna vary quite a bit from kid to kid depending on their frame and such. Good luck. I wish my folks had gotten me into archery as a kid.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"

-Aldo Leopold

Proud Public Land Owner

I’m not “Jim”
Stretcher_Jockey
4 Point

Postby PSE Shooter18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Take her to a pro shop and not a box store . Not to mention a shop that is not going to take your money and put you out the door.
PSE Shooter18
Spike

Postby KatManDew » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks. Tried to do that earlier this week but they were just too busy. 1 person working on bows and no one assisting other customers so I couldn’t even ask a question. Mainly I’m wondering how low can I go with pull weight before it’s not suitable for hunting. Want to prevent wounding deer. May need to just get her a crossbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KatManDew
Spike

Postby Grill-n-man » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Just a thought. Consider skill level more than the poundage. 30lb long bows and recurves fill freezers every season. My son has been shooting a compound for almost 5 years now ( age 11 ) and pulls just under 30lbs. He’s been with us to 3 different states shooting 3D courses that had up to 50 targets on a single course and one where we done 4.8 miles and 29 flights of steps by pedometer and he will still be hunting with a crossbow again this year. Ain’t going to sugar coat it, his ability to consistently stay focused for a quick kill is not there yet. As a hunter and parent I have made that decision and he could pull 90lbs but if can’t kill then ain’t shooting it. Point is don’t loose focus on its a hunters job to give a quick and clean kill.
Grill-n-man
6 Point

Postby Harold Money jr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:35 am

My smaller 12yo son shoots a Mission Craze at about 40lbs(although he jerks and moves too much might have to back him down a bit). Last year he was shooting the same bow at 35lbs he got stronger through just shooting your daughter will too. I’ve read that 25ft/lbs of energy is what’s needed to shoot through a deer I would consider that about minimum as well. My sons arrow setup is gold tip 35/55 left about 30” for weight with a Magnus 125gr stinger(cut on contact head, in my opinion very important along with a heavier arrow). He’ll only be allowed to shoot 20yds and under. I really considered that since I would be in the tree with him to have his bow a little heavy for him to draw and I’d give him a little help getting the bow back smoothly. The times I took him he didn’t get a shot he had several deer as close as 23yds but they were not in our self imposed range of 17yds last year. Which btw was an awesome and unexpected way of teaching how bowhunting should be done. I had the range finder and would point out trees, stumps and logs, saying if they’re not inside that we're not even considering shooting. He loved it. I probably wrote too much but as a Dad having the same questions was giving some of my thoughts and experiences as well.
Harold Money jr
4 Point

Postby Harold Money jr » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:39 am

Katman, I’m on the east side near Knoxville. If you’re reasonably close I’d be glad to meet and help you and her.
Harold Money jr
4 Point

Postby Nsghunter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:43 pm

I have "Heard" 35 lbs is the minimum# and then to use a cut on contact broadhead. I agree with one of the other posters though, its about what the shooter can do, with confidence. I shoot 50 lbs and I can pull back and hold 70-80 maybe even more... Practice practice practice
Nsghunter
6 Point

Postby Emmet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:44 pm

I bought my son (10yrs old )a Bear apprentice 2 bow from Custom Archery Gear in Michie Tn. The owner spent an hour or more teaching him how to shoot it. He got an 8 pt the first time we went hunting. He got a for this year with it. I
I have been impressed with its performance. It is easy to adjust draw length and weight in the field. The draw length with adjust from 15”-27”. The weight is 20#-60#. It feels like a mini Matthews when I pick it up. My son is 15 now so I am in the market for he or I a new bow. Good luck. I don’t think you can go wrong with this set up.
Emmet
Spike

Postby Doskil » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 pm

There is no minimum poundage in TN.

A 25 lb bow will kill a deer
Doskil
8 Point

Postby Crow Terminator » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:18 pm

If you are near east TN, I highly recommend The Harvest Archery shop. They are especially good with kids...are huge in the kid archery programs and such. They have a crazy high percentage of successful youth shooters come out of that shop. I'm 36 and have been shooting since I was 4, so I have been around a lot of shops over the years. The only one to match it for the youth involvement was Eagle's Wings before they closed. That would be where I would start if you are within 2 hrs of there.

My 11 yr old niece loved shooting my wife's recurve. I couldn't decide whether to get her a compound or recurve for Christmas. Settled on the Genesis bow because she is at the age where she can shoot in the school programs and thought that might be a good way for her to shoot her way into a scholarship if she stuck with it. It's 20# max weight and she pulls it like its nothing. I might could possibly went with a compound but we'll see if she sticks with it. Thus far she has shot it every day since Christmas.
Crow Terminator
16 Point

Return to TN Bow Talk/Compounds